Taking home remedies for colds will reduce the duration of the cold (usually 7 days) by at least 3 days and minimize its potency. So how do you know whether you have a cold or just starting with flu? It’s important to distinguish between the two, more than ever now as there are ore than 44, 287 Swine Flu cases to date, worldwide.
Flu will induce a sudden fever temperature of over 100F to 104F. Other symptoms can include a sore throat chills, aching muscles, and headache.
Here are 10 tried and tested home remedies for colds to reduce the symptoms whilst boosting the immune system. If you have more than one cold per year you will know which one might work the best for you.
1. Home remedies for colds # ECHINACEA: This has been used for centuries and has an immune stimulating effect by killing the cold virus, and known in Germany as “resistance drops”. This herb is available in tincture or capsule form.
2. Home remedies for colds # VITAMIN C: Vitamin C levels must be replenished daily as the body is unable to make its own supply. An over abundance of this vitamin is simply passed out of the system by normal body functions. Along with the health benefits, it is one of world’s favourite supplements. Homeopathic doctors recommend 6 to 10 grams for the first few days, with plenty of fresh fruit as the water content in the fruit e.g. apples , orange, grapefruit (particularly red grapefruit), cranberries, helps to hydrate the body at the same time adding natural vitamin C. Once you are feeling better reduce the dose to 3 grams per day.
3. Home remedies for colds # PAPER TISSUES: They are better than a handkerchief as they can be disposed of by trashing after use. Hand washing is important so that you do not pass on the virus or re-infect yourself.
4. Home remedies for colds # GARLIC: Cold germs hate garlic as it clears chest infections! And now not a day passes without some new use being discovered. Reputedly, 3,000 years ago the Egyptians insisted that their slaves be fed on it to keep them healthy and fit for work. To keep the breath fresh only use the deodorized capsules. Take3 grams daily to help clear the virus. Continued use may protect against blood clots and reduce bad cholesterol.
5. Home remedies for colds # WATER: Colds are very debilitating, so plenty of fresh filtered water is essential to keep well hydrated, as much as 8 to 10 glasses daily.
6. Home remedies for colds # HORSERADISH: Well known for treating respiratory infections by increasing perspiration to reduce any fever associated with a cold. Easily prepared in the kitchen by grating the root and then adding cream and vinegar to make a sauce. Used traditionally with roast beef.
7. Home remedies for colds # VITAMIN A: Strengthens the mucus membranes which help to trap the cold virus and is needed for an improved immune system. It is sometimes known as the ‘skin vitamin’. Low levels can lead acne and spots.
8. Home remedies for colds # SAGE: Fresh sage juice made from the leaves of this herb has anti-inflammatory and can be used as a mouthwash to alleviate sore throats, laryngitis. It also has antiviral properties, which is useful for treating coughs and colds.
9. Home remedies for colds # ZINC: It is thought that zinc can kill off the cold causing rhinovirus, and is believed to have an antioxidant function by supporting the other antioxidant nutrients. Smokers are usually deficient in this vitamin. Check the dosage with your pharmacist as it can cause imbalance in copper levels.
10. Home remedies for colds # PROPOLIS: Used over 3,000 years ago by primitive humans who enjoyed the fruits of the industrious honeybee, dining on royal jelly, honey and the honeycombs. However, it was the ancient Greeks who gave propolis the name we use today. ‘Pro’ means before and ‘polis’, refers to the city, or the apt translation is ‘In defence of the city’, lining the hive with this resin to keep it safe from infection and intruders.
It has shown to have antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and antiviral properties. Very little is known about this natural product from the bees, but it is becoming very popular. I personally have been using it daily for over three years in capsule form, and have been colds and flu free. It is available as a mouthwash, soap, and lip balm.