Sprains and strains are due to muscles being rolled suddenly. The joints get twisted and pain occurs. Sprain is stretching or teasing of ligaments (these are bands of fibrous tissues that connect one bone to another). They generally affect the ankles and knees. A strain involves the stretching or teasing of muscles or tendons. Hamstring and back injuries are some of the most common strains.
There is rapid swelling when sprains occur. An injury is sever when the pain and swilling is more. In the case of severe strain, the muscle or tendon is torn apart or ruptured. It could cause a lot of boring, swelling and bruising around the muscle, leading to malfunctioning of muscle. How to get over these sprains and strains?
Home Remedies for Sprains and Strains
- Resting helps. One should avoid any kind of activity to allow the muscles to recuperate
- Ice pack helps to reduce the inflammation and swelling. Keep it on affected area for 15 to 20 minutes and repeat it every 2 to 3 hours to reduce the pain
- It is good to use compressions as they tighten the sprained or strained area to prevent further injury
- Keep the injured part elevated to decrease the swelling
- One can add pineapple to one's diet as it contains bromelain, an enzyme that helps in the healing process. It should be stopped if there is itching.
- One can take aspirin or ibuprofen for the swelling and pain
- The affected area can be massed with comfrey oil or cream to lessen the pain
- To reduce boiling five drops of thyme oil diluted either in bathwater or some other oil can be used as a compress
- Arnica balm or ointment can be applied as cream or a compress on the affected area
- Horse chestnut gel can also be applied every two hours till the pain goes
Herbal Remedies for Sprains and Strains
- One can apply comfrey oil infusion on the affected area. Massage it well
- Thyme (5drops) in bath or diluted oil and can be used as a compress
- Arnica cream or compress
- St. John's Wort is also useful. Its oils and tin can be used
One can sprain or strain one's ankle or legs while playing games or while exercising. There are remedies to treat these conditions. These are within one's reach. Not very expensive either, but very useful as a cure.