Hip replacement surgery is a medical procedure that relieves you from the painful function of defective hips by replacing the affected part of your hip. The hips are one of the most critical body parts of a human, and assist a person in a number of movements like walking, sitting and standing. However, when there is a problem with our hips, movement is accompanied by uncomparable pain. These problems are related to dislocation of the hip joint, which is in the shape of a ball and socket. The ball from upper leg bone fits into the pelvic bone socket.
What Leads To Serious Hip Conditions
There are a number of situations that may lead to hip problems like severe pain, deformation and dislocation of hip joint and restriction in various movements. These situations include arthritis, hip injury, bone tumors, fractures, vascular necrosis, Aseptic bone necrosis and also, the age factor. Hip replacement surgery aims at replacing the surface of hip joint to bid a deficiency to such problems.
Various Types Of Hip Replacement Surgery
With advancement in medical science, new and successful methods have been developed to carry out hip replacement surgery. In countries like United States, innumerable hip surgeries are being transported out every year. The most significant forms of this surgery include:
1. Total Hip Replacement – In this type, it becomes necessary to replace both the ball as well as the socket. The artificial ball and sockets are made of metals or plastic.
2. Hip Surfacing – In hip surfacing, no body part is replaced; rather the ball associated with hip joint is resurfaced to resume normal functioning of the joint.
How Is Surgery Carried Out
Hip replacement surgery is generally completed in three to four hours. During this process, the surgeon replicates the effected parts of hip joint with artificial parts. A special kind of cement is employed to stick the artificial body parts effectively at the right place. The surgeons may also use press-fit method to implant these parts in the body. After the surgery is successfully completed, the patient has to undergo special exercise program, so that the implanted body parts perfectly gel with the surrounding bones and the patient gains control over normal hip movements.
What Should Be Followed After Surgery
It is necessary to keep in mind the activities that must be restricted after hip replacement surgery. This will help you retain the artificial joint for long time. The activities that must not be performed include:
- Lifting of heavy objects
- Gaining extra body weight
- Climbing heights with speed
- Indulging into excessive sports activities
- Following bad sitting postures
- Bending beyond estimated
Some Related Facts About Hip Replacement Surgery
- It could be carried out on people from all age groups.
- In less than 10 percent cases, the patients are required to undergo a second surgery.
- It is advisable to quit recreational drugs before surgery.
- The patients maintain a healthy sexual life even after surgery.
- The overall cost of this surgery ranges from 4,000 to 6,000 dollars and insurance companies cover the expenses.