Herbal remedies for anxiety are becoming more popular alternatives to prescribed medicines. They are just as powerful as benzodiazepines (Valium and Xanax), but safer and do not form the dependence.
Valerian is one of the most widely used and effective herbal remedies for anxiety. It reduces anxiety, induces sleep and promotes relaxation of the major muscle groups (legs, arms, and chest) while working as a sedative and painkiller. Research had shown that valerian calms central nervous system faster than most prescription anxiety medications. It also has other advantages comparing with prescription drugs.
For example, it does not reduce concentration, does not interfere with physical performance as car driving or working and does not lead to addiction. Used as a sleeping aid it helps to decrease panic attacks at night and does not cause "morning hangovers".
Valerian is used by many doctors to reduce mild to moderate anxiety, helping coping with every day stress as well as to alleviate a patient's transition process from prescribed anxiety medication like Xanax.
Valerian if taken in regular doses does not have any side effects, but in large amounts may lead to headaches, restlessness and stomach distress. It is not advised to combine valerian with other prescribed or over-the-counter tranquilizers, anti-depressants and painkillers. However, it does not lead to any serious consequences if combined with alcohol. Pregnant or lactating women and children under 2 years old should not use valerian without doctor's permission.
* Kava is another herbal remedy for anxiety that is used for similar purposes as valerian. It reduces anger and depression, promotes sleep and lifts the spirit. Kava's great benefit comparing with other powerful tranquilizers is its safety, gentle effect of the body and the fact that it improves memory, alertness and helps to fight fatigue.
* Ashwagandha (also known as Indian ginseng) has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for centuries as the primary strengthening tonic. If taken regularly, it helps to improve mental condition of most anxiety sufferers in only a couple of months.
* Passion flower is a natural herbal remedy used for reducing nervous tension and hyperactivity, lowering high blood pressure and fighting such anxieties symptoms as insomnia, restlessness and diarrhea.
* Lemon balm was first mentioned around 10-th century AD by the Persian herbalist for its calming qualities. Nowadays it is used as a mild relaxant for restoring nervous system, reducing high blood pressure and soothing digestive system.
* Lavender is an excellent herbal remedy for anxiety. It helps to overcome such unpleasive symptoms as restlessness loss of appetite, loss of sleep and abdominal distress.
* Motherwort is known as a "heart herb". It increases the blood circulation to the brain and is very useful for treating anxiety associated with palpitations. It also helps to alleviate depression and insomnia.
* Skullcap is considered one of the best natural treatments for chronic anxiety and panic attacks. It relieves stress and muscle tension, nourishes nervous system and Promotes sleep.
Chamomile, hops and peppermint are commonly found in teas and tablets as the gentle sedatives. They are used to promote relaxation, soothe an upset stomach, reduce anxiety and encourage sleep.
Other herbal remedies for anxiety are John's wort, California poppy, Catnip, Feverfew, Verbena, Bugleweed, Ginseng, Ginkgo biloba and Borage juice.
There are many combinations of those natural herbs available on the market today that may insure a long-lasting anxiety and depression relief. The most important is to find the right combination and dosage for you. Always consult with herbalist professionals before taking any natural remedies as incorrect dosage or makeup of ingredients can make anxiety worse.