Help I Am Allergic To Seafood

If you are allergic to seafood then you suffer from Allergies Type 1, also called Contact Allergies. Countries where seafood is a staple part of the diet such as Scandinavian, Spain, and Japan have a higher percentage of individuals allergic to seafood.

This is due to the ability of allergies type 1 reactions to gradually increase in severity over time. If you are susceptible to becoming allergic to seafood, then the more you are exposed to the allergens the more likely it is that you will develop symptoms. Once an allergic reaction has developed the allergy is usually for life.

The good news is that allergies to seafood are usually restricted to only one seafood type or group. Types of seafood groups are, Vertebrates like anchovies, cod, herring, mackerel, salmon, and tuna. Crustaceans like crab, lobster, prawns, and shrimp. Shellfish like clams, mussels, oysters, and scallops. Cephalopods like calamari, cuttlefish, octopus, and squid. Gastropods like garden slugs, sea slugs, and snails.

If you are allergic to something in the vertebrates group then it is 50 to 75 percent that you will be allergic to one of the other vertebrates. The same holds true for the rest of the groups. Complete avoidance to one or more groups of seafood is often recommended. However, just because you are allergic to one of the vertebrates does not mean that you will be allergic to something in the shellfish group.

Whenever something in a new group is tried for the first time you should only eat a small amount and then see if any of the symptoms occur within several hours. Symptom include hives or rash, difficulties in breathing, headache, dizziness, ringing in the ears and an increase or decrease in blood pressure.

Some reactions to shellfish are caused by toxic reaction that mimics an allergic to seafood reaction.
Shellfish contaminated by algae-derived neurotoxins interfer with the function of nerve endings in the human body, thus giving the appearance of an allergic reaction. Symptoms occur within a couple of hours and usually last about 24 hours.

The neurotoxin know as saxitoxin is concentrates in the filter-feeding shellfish and the toxin is head-stable and is unaffected by cooking. The toxin can persist in contaminated shellfish for several weeks to several months after exposure to the toxic algae. Never eat shellfish after a red tide has been reported.

A growing awareness about food allergies is becoming well known in the United States. Food manufactures and restaurants are becoming more understanding and willing to accommodate people living with food allergies. Living with any food allergy is no longer a major undertaking; it is now just a minor adjustment to your life-style.

Always consult your doctor before using this information.

This Article is nutritional in nature and is not to be construed as medical advice.