Apples offer more than just a good taste. It is a great source of pectin, a type of soluble fiber found in the cell walls and tissues of plants. While all fruits and vegetables may contain pectin, the amount and concentration is particularly high in apples. Besides consuming fresh raw apples, apple pectin can also be consumed in supplement form as tablets. Studies have shown that regular consumption of apple pectin can do wonders to our health as it has numerous beneficial effects both on our digestive and cardiovascular system. Let me share to you some of them.
1. It helps get rid of toxins in the digestive tract. Pectin forms a gel during digestion which coats the intestines. This coating action helps sweep the toxins out of the digestive tract and eliminate it through bowel movements.
2. It aids in weight loss. Apart from toxins, pectin can also help sweep away unwanted fat from our body. It also helps improve bowel movements which is an important factor in any weight loss program.
3. It helps balance acid levels. Apple pectin is believed to have beneficial effects on the digestive tract as it helps balance acidity in the large intestines. It also helps relieve symptoms of ulcer, acid reflux, hyperacidity and other acid-related conditions.
4. It helps reduce the risk of developing metabolic syndrome. Metabolic syndrome is a group of risk factors for heart disease. These include hypertension, obesity, diabetes and high cholesterol. Apple pectin helps promote good cardiovascular health and prevent metabolic syndrome by reducing cholesterol and blood sugar levels in the body.
5. It helps reduce the frequency and duration of diarrhea. Apple pectin helps treat diarrhea by increasing the volume and viscosity of the waste. It also helps absorb water and slow down digestion, hence decreasing the frequency and severity of the symptoms.
6. It helps prevent gallstones from forming. It also helps break down and flush gallstones if there are already gallstones in the body.
7. It helps prevent certain cancers. Apple pectin is considered as a strong antioxidant so it helps reduce the risk of cancers such as colon cancer and other gastrointestinal related cancers.
To reap these health benefits, you would need to eat at least two fresh apples a day. However, if you don’t eat apples or if you have no time and resources to buy apples everyday, you can opt to take apple pectin supplements instead. It offers the same benefits as fresh apples without the extra hassle.