Headache or cephalgia is a common ailment, and most of us suffer from headache at one time or another. Pain or ache in any part of the head, forehead or neck may collectively be referred to as headache. Headache may occur due to multiple causes, and depending upon the cause, headache may be classified in to primary headaches, secondary headaches and cranial neuralgia, facial ache and other types. Primary headaches are not associated with any disease. They spring on their own. Examples of primary headaches are migraine, tension headaches and cluster headache. Secondary headache is caused due to some major disease or ailment such as brain tumors, meningitis, encephalitis, and hemorrhage in brain, strokes, caffeine deficiency and discontinuation of analgesics. The third type, cranial neuralgia or facial pain, is caused due to the inflammation of nerves in the head and upper neck.
1. Emotional stress
3. Excessive smoking and alcohol intake
5. High blood pressure
8. Nutritional deficiency
9. Lack of sleep
10. Prolonged manual labor or physical stress
11. Cold and flu
12. Chronic cough
13. Ear infection
14. Tooth infection
15. Sinus infection and blockage
16. Pneumonia and fever
20. Eye infection
21. Eye strain
23. Bright light and loud sound
24. Traumatic injury
26. Muscle contracting around the skull
27. Spinal tap or injection.
1. Drinking of herbal teas such as chamomile or peppermint tea can treat headache.
2. Steam inhalation is an effective remedy for headache. It can do away with sinus blockage.
3. Drinking two tablespoon apple cider vinegar mixed with raw honey in a cup of water can cause headache to vanish quickly
4. Drinking a glass of warm water mixed with two tablespoon pure maple syrup and few drops of lemon juice and then immediately taking a nap can cure headache.
5. Placing henbane leaves on the head, and then covering it with a moist warm cloth can cause headache to disappear.
6. Usage of a warm poultice made of ginger powder can reduce headache. The poultice is to be placed on forehead.
7. Applying a paste of sandalwood on forehead can cure headache.
8. Consumption of grown coconut mixed with sugar can reduce headache.
9. A solution made out of half teaspoon mustard seed powder and three teaspoon water may be applied in the nostrils. This is an effective way of treating headache.
10. Intake of a teaspoon of Brewer's yeast daily can reduce headache due to iron deficiency.
11. Intake of freshly sliced apples every morning is an effective cure for chronic headache.
12. Nasal irrigation is a way to clear nasal congestion and reduce headache.
13. Massaging head with the pressure of thumb and forefinger can tie headache.
14. Soaking feet in lukewarm water and placing a cold towel on forehead can less headache.