In evaluating the various types of brain cancers, you will find that glioblastoma multiforme is considered to be the absolute most malignant. This type of tumor is considered to be an Astrocytoma based tumor. Glioblastoma multiforme is a type of tumor that has been found to develop in the brain. It is often referred to as GBM for short.
While considered to be one of the most common of all brain tumors that are part of brain cancer, it is also considered to be one of the most aggressive. These tumors are known to affect all age groups, but seem to be most prevalent in those that exceed fifty years of age. In this brain cancer, you will learn valuable information pertaining to this glioblastoma multiforme.
There are many symptoms that may be associated with a glioblastoma multiforme tumor. The symptoms are most often dependent upon the exact location of the tumor, the overall size of the abnormal growth, and the rate in which the tumor grows. In many instances, the tumor will grow relatively large prior to the sufferer noticing any types of symptoms.
Glioblastoma multiforme tumors are quite dangerous in this aspect. This is mostly due to the fact that by the time the tumor has grown to an immense size, the cancer cells have likely already spread throughout various regions of the brain. The following represent symptoms that are commonly seen in patients that have this type of tumor:
• Many experience complications with motor functions – especially in walking.
• There are some individuals that may find that they experience challenges when it comes to speaking.
• Many individuals experience mild to severe bouts of dizziness.
• It is common for many to experience vomiting.
• Problems that are associated with the vision are quite common. One of the most common issues includes double vision.
• Many will suffer from headaches that are often described as “dull” and are hard to achieve relief from.
• Seizures may occur unexpectedly when it comes to those that are suffering from glioblastoma multiforme based tumors.
Diagnosing Glioblastoma Multiforme Tumors
There are many diagnostic tools that are used to diagnose whether or not an individual suffers from a glioblastoma multiforme tumor. If a doctor identifies the fact that a patient is suffering from a form of mental dysfunction, they will typically refer the patient to a neurologist for a complete examination.
In addition to this, if a patient is found to suffer from headaches, starts to experience seizures, or if there is a suspicion that there is any degree of inflammation around the brain, they will be sent for a neurological examination to confirm whether or not they are suffering from brain cancer. The diagnostic tools that are used to evaluate a patient include the following:
• Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scan
• Computed Tomography
• An X-Ray
• Cerebral Angiography
• Vision Exams
• Hearing Exams
• Brain Fluid Exam
• General Physical
If you are exhibiting the symptoms of a glioblastoma multiforme tumor, it is important to ensure that you make an appointment with a medical professional as soon as possible. Despite the fact that this is a serious form of brain cancer, there are treatments that may prove to be productive to stopping or slowing the overall progression of the illness.