Pleurisy is the state in which the pleural cavity of the lungs gets inflated. This state of the pleura occurs mainly due to infections in the lungs. When the pleura get inflated the two layers of pleura rub against each other every time during inhaling and exhaling air due to which chronic chest pain occurs during breathing.
There are many reasons behind the occurrence of pleurisy such as viral infection, lung cancer, pneumonia, chest injury, blood clot in lung etc. The pain in chest in the condition of pleurisy mainly occurs during deep breathing, physical work and coughing. The state of pleurisy makes breathing very painful.
The condition of pleurisy may also occur due to pleural effusion in which fluid get accumulated between the lining of pleura and results in swelling of pleura. Pleural effusion occurs in case of mesothelioma or lung cancer. If pleural effusion is there in case of pleurisy then there is no pain as the fluid acts as lubricant but when the fluid gets deposited in the pleura in large amount, it exerts pressure on the pleura due to which there is improper functioning of the lungs which results in shortening of breadth and other symptoms.
There are certain home remedies for pleurisy which have proven to be effective. They are as follows:
1. When the first symptom of pleurisy occurs, the patient should go on complete fasting and should have only few glasses of water in a day and should increase slowly the amount of water intake day by day.
2. Every day the hot chest pack should be applied gently for 2 to 3 times which will help in relieving the pain and swelling.
3. Milk is very beneficial for the treatment of pleurisy. The intake of milk should is in large amount and should be increased every day but it should not exceed 4 liters.
4. Air bath and sun bath are very helpful methods in curing or decreasing the pain which occurs in pleurisy.
5. The patient should take proper rest and should inhale clean air. So it is advised that the patient should be kept away from the pollution prone areas.
6. Water bath should be taken from the water having temperature exactly 100 degree Fahrenheit for at least one hour. This method help in relieving the pain of chest and it also helps in reduction of the swelling of the pleura of lungs.
7. Patient should sleep in the side in which the pain is less this will help in reducing pain and swelling.
8. Using herbs like hog weed (punarnava) is helpful in reducing pain and swelling. It also heals the symptoms occurring in the lungs due to pleurisy. The powder of the root of hog weed should be taken two to three times a day and it is very in the treatment of pleurisy.
9. Linseed (alsi) can be applied in form of loose paste and it shows excellent results in the treatment.
10. Celery (Ajwain-ka-patta) is also a useful herb in the treatment of pleurisy. Seeds of celery are also useful in treating other types of infections.