Not many us know much about our nails other that their made from keratin. The nails have their own functions to perform and are markers internal body functions. For example, white crescents that appear on fingernails are a sign of calcium deficiency.
Keeping finger and toenails healthy is important because we often ignore them (especially men). Nail fungus is an infection that affects nails. The toenails are especially prone to these infections because we tend to ignore them. The most common way to get infected is from contact with wet surfaces and floors. The first signs start showing in the form of discolored toenails. The nail starts separating from the nail bed and becomes thick and jagged. Such an infection leaves the nail looking bad and can be quite embarrassing. Avoid using nail paint in such cases. Nail paint holds humidity and only aggravates the problem. The infection should not be ignored as well. The best solution is to get it treated as soon as possible.
Nail Fungus Treatment
There are cures both, scientific as well as natural for nail fungus treatment. The scientific solution involves topical creams and oral antifungal medication. The doctor needs to test a sample of the nail in order to determine the species of fungus before he can prescribe any medication. Anti-fungal creams are also be effective but there is a chance that the cream won’t reach all the fungus and the problem will start all over again. The oral medication helps eliminate this problem. Always consult a doctor before taking any anti-fungal medication because there is a chance that you may experience side effects.
The natural remedies include using essential oils and alcohols to treat nail fungus. There are a number of these home remedies out there and you can find them on the internet. But be sure to check if they have worked for other people or you will just be wasting your time. Here are some of the proven home remedies you could use –
• Apply a mixture of 2 drops of oregano oil and one teaspoon of olive oil to the nail to help relive any pain.
• Soak your feet in a bucket of equal proportions of water and apple cider vinegar for 15 to 20 minutes. Thereafter, dry the toenails thoroughly.
• Dab the nail with a mixture of Tea tree oil and Lavender oil in equal amounts. Do this two to three times a day.
• Soaking the nail in Listerine mouthwash helps treat the fungus. Applying Vicks Vapor Rub to the nail help stop the growth.
• Soak feet in a tub containing an equal mixture of Hydrogen Peroxide and water for 15 minutes. Dry feet afterwards.
The third option is to use a laser for Fungal Nail Treatment. The focused heat of the laser is used to destroy the fungus in the nail and the cuticle. The laser treatment is perfectly safe and is proven to give results. You will need to go in for between 1 to five sessions depending on the condition of the nail. You will also have to go in for after treatment sessions to gauge the success of the operation.