Foods that cause acid reflux can cause too much acid content in the stomach. Since some foods can make the stomach produce more acid, it is better to avoid eating them.
Food containing a high amount of fat should be avoided since they are also foods that cause acid reflux. Fats are harder to digest than fiber rich foods and stay longer in the stomach; therefore making it work overtime and produce more than the normal acid it should contain.
Here are some foods that you should avoid or eat in moderation:
1. Sodas or carbonated drinks – sodas normally contain carbonic acid for it to have its characteristic fizz. The more acid the food contains, the higher the risk of an acid reflux attack.
2. Citrus fruits – fruits like grapefruit, lemons and oranges are sour and acidic in nature.
3. Processed vegetables like French fried potatoes and mashed potatoes – these are normally served with a high amount of oil. Mashed potatoes frequently have butter in the recipe and French fries are always deep fried. Since fat makes the stomach produce more acid, it will increase the chance of having an acid reflux.
4. Spices like onion and garlic – these spices can make the LES or Lower Esophageal Sphincter weaken. The LES is the muscle responsible for keeping the contents of the stomach from backing up into the esophagus. A weak LES will not close properly and the stomach's contents will then go back to the esophagus causing acid reflux.
5. High fat dairy – dairy products like sour cream, full cream milk and cheese that contain a lot of fat will also cause the stomach to produce more acid.
6. Other foods that may weaken or irritate the LES – chocolate, peppermint, spearmint and alcoholic beverages weaken the LES due to their relaxing properties. Chili peppers on the other hand can irritate the LES especially if you are already suffering from acid reflux. Chili peppers can aggravate the condition of an already damaged LES.
These are the foods that can cause the acid reflux, and reasons why they cause acid reflux. It is just up to you if you are to avoid them or eat them in moderation. These are only guidelines because there are many different cases of acid reflux disorder.
You may find food listed above that may not cause you acid reflux while some foods that cause acid reflux may not be included in the above list. It is best to keep a food diary so you can figure out which types of foods cause acid reflux in your case.