Food Poisoning Claim Questions

Food poisoning reports at resorts in Tunisia, Egypt, Turkey and Spain have increased over the past few years and, if you have suffered sickness after eating food at an all inclusive holiday hotel, you can make a claim for compensation when you return home.

Common questions about claiming compensation for food poisoning abroad include:

1. How much can I claim?

You can claim from £600.00 to £25,250, depending on the severity of your illness and how it has affected your day to day life.

2. Why is food poisoning so prevalent in all inclusive holiday hotels?

All inclusive holiday hotels cater for hundreds of guests every day and food handlers often cut corners when it comes to standards of food and hygiene causing illness to guests. When food becomes contaminated it causes illness when ingested and hotel kitchens and restaurants must be kept scrupulously clean in order to prevent this.

3. Should I contact the tour operator directly to claim compensation?

No, allow a regulated personal injury solicitor to contact the tour operator on your behalf as you could be entitled to much more compensation than they are offering. A solicitor who is experienced in dealing with holiday illness claims will know how much you can claim and can get you the full amount of compensation you deserve.

4. How serious do my symptoms need to be in order to claim compensation?

You can claim compensation for mild or severe symptoms of food poisoning and holiday illness. If the negligence of the tour operator has caused your illness you should be able to claim for loss of enjoyment of your holiday, pain and suffering and any related medical expenses.

5. How long does it take to claim holiday illness compensation?

You can contact a personal injury solicitor as soon as you return to the UK or even more quickly via the internet at your holiday resort. It may take up to 6 months or more to receive your compensation but every case is different and it usually depends how quickly the personal injury solicitor responds to the correspondence from your solicitor and whether or not they admit liability.

6. How long have I got to claim for holiday illness compensation?

Legally, three years, but it is advisable to make your claim as quickly as possible when details of your illness are still fresh in your mind.

7. What are the symptoms of Salmonella food poisoning?

Salmonella symptoms usually include vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps, fever and headaches and serious symptoms may cause dehydration. It this occurs you may have to be treated via an intravenous drip and/or prescribed antibiotics.

8. Is it safe to eat pink meat from a barbecue?

Never eat chicken, pork or burgers if they are pink in the middle. Steak and lamb can be eaten if slightly pink in the middle but it must be cooked properly on the outside to prevent illness.

9. Should I inform the holiday representative if I am sick on holiday abroad?

Yes, make a written complaint to the holiday representative and keep a copy of anything you sign. Also speak to other guests who have suffered the same symptoms as you and keep a note of their contact details as you may be able to bring a joint claim against the tour operator when you arrive home.

10. Can food poisoning affect anyone?

Yes, but it is most likely to cause serious illness in young children, pregnant women, people with weakened immune systems and older holidaymakers. Never take any chances and get checked out immediately if you are suffering symptoms of sickness and diarrhea.

As soon as you return to the UK, if you have suffered holiday illness through no fault of your own, contact a no win, no fee personal injury solicitor to help you claim compensation.