Uterine fibroid tumors affect as many as 80% of women in the U.S. alone. Conventional treatments for fibroids leave much to be desired when considering the drawbacks.
Drug therapy is aimed at changing the ratio of hormones or the level of hormones to slow the growth of fibroids. Drugs such as Lupron effectively stop the production of hormones; others introduce androgens that mimic testosterone. Of course the side effects are highly undesirable. These include mood swings, hot flashes, lack of libido, increased body and facial hair and even the lowering of the voice.
The various surgeries such as myomectomy, embolization, myoma coagulation and hysterectomy also have drawbacks, the most obvious being the total removal of the uterus. The less radical surgical approaches will create scar tissue and may interfere with a future pregnancy. Additionally, surgery does not address the underlying cause of uterine fibroids to begin with, and many women experience a recurrence.
So what are the alternatives? You may be surprised to learn that you have choices in treating fibroid tumors. Here are the Five Steps to Becoming Fibroid Free Forever:
1. AVOID HORMONE CONTRACEPTIVES AND HORMONE REPLACEMENT DRUGS. The driving force behind the growth of fibrosis such as fibroid tumors is excessive estrogen. It you are on oral contraception or any type of hormone contraception (i.e, DeproProvera, etc.), discontinue it and use alternative forms of contraception. If you are currently on estrogen replacement, tell your doctor that you want to discontinue it. (After your fibroids have gone away, you can explore bio-identical hormone replacement with a qualified practitioner.) There is a great deal of misinformation about the use of estrogen in medicine.
2. AVOID FOODS AND OTHER SOURCES OF ESTROGEN. Certain foods are extremely high in estrogen and can introduce as much or more estrogen in your body as some hormone contraceptives! In a 2006 study, “The Phytoestrogen Content of Foods Consumed in Canada,” the foods with the highest estrogen content are:
Phytoestrogen content (mcg/100g aprox. 4 ounces)
Flax seed 379,380
Soy beans 103,920
Soy yogurt 10,275
Sesame seed 8008.1
Flax bread 7540
Black bean sauce 5330.3
Multigrain bread 4798.7
Soy milk 2957.2
Note the huge amount of estrogen in Flax seeds. Avoid flax oil! Avoid soy products!
Another huge source of estrogen are xenoestrogens (also spelled zenoestrogens) which are substances that mimic the natural hormone. They are found in pesticides, herbicides, some chemical solvents, petroleum and exhaust fumes. Then, there are the plastics, everything from PVC pipes to food wraps. Avoid heating food on or covered by plastics. Avoid hot beverages in plastic. Keep plastic water bottles cool to reduce the risk of plastics leaching into the contents.
3. USE A PURE PROGESTERONE CREAM. Natural progesterone cream is safe, side effect free and easy to use. It’s available without prescription from health food stores. Supplementing with progesterone helps balance the hormones. Progesterone keeps the production of estrogen in check and in so doing keeps the bad effects of estrogen from flourishing. Using natural progesterone cream elevates mood and fights depression fast. However, it is vital to choose the right cream. Avoid all progesterone cream that is not 100% pure and free from other ingredients. Many add phytoestrogens to “balance” the product!
4. TAKE MYOMIN. Myomin is an all natural formula of Chinese herbs that has been shown to help metabolize unhealthy estrogen and promote proper hormonal balance. Hospital research has shown that Myomin helps to reduce the size and symptoms of myomas (fibroids) found in the breast, uterus, and ovaries. It is especially helpful when these conditions have been encouraged by estrogen dominance.
5. TAKE SYSTEMIC ENZYMES TO DIGEST FIBROIDS. While the first four steps in becoming fibroid free have focused on balancing the hormones, enzymes are the secret weapon that will accelerate your treatment results dramatically. In Europe and Asia systemic enzymes have been used successfully to dissolve fibroids for decades. Since fibroids are composed of fibrin, enzymes that digest fibrin will effectively eat the fibroid tumors. It is not a question of if the tumors will be dissolved, but only a question of when.
While many have heard of digestive enzyme supplements that are taken to help digest meals, systemic enzymes are different. These formulas are taken between meals so the protein and fibrin eating enzymes enter the bloodstream and begin their work throughout the body.
While individual results will vary, most women will report significant shrinkage of fibroids in 6 to 8 weeks, with improvement in their symptoms in the first 2 to 4 weeks — and often immediately due to the pain relieving anti-inflammatory properties of these formulas. (Systemic enzymes are a healthy replacement for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs “NSAIDS”). Most women experience a disappearance of the tumors within three to five months.
Enzymes are safe to take with other supplements and prescription medications except anti-coagulants such as Plavix, Coumadin, Warfarin and Heparin. This is because systemic enzymes naturally thin the blood by cleansing it of excess fibrin, pathogens and other protein-based waste, and together with enzymes, the anticoagulant would thin the blood too much.
While not all enzyme formulas are effective, the few that are potent enough to bring results are costly: up to $180 a month. Most formulas require a dose anywhere from 9 to 30 capsules a day. However a new, more potent formula has been released that costs $45 a month and requires a dose of only three caplets a day, which brings the cost down to $1.50 a day.