We all require vitamins and minerals to protect our bodies from many diseases and to be healthy. Women on the other hand, require much more unique supplements because they're more susceptible to diseases and conditions as a result of their physiological make up. For example, girls are susceptible to osteoporosis, which can cause them to break their hips and other bones at the slightest fall. Girls also can get cervical cancer or breast cancer and these of course are conditions that are isolated to girls. As a result, women are required to take special supplements that will make them healthy and will help them fight off these diseases or diseases. Girls need to take certain supplements which will make them stronger and help them fight off certain conditions that just they're sorry to. What are these supplements and how can they help? Read on to know more.
* Calcium – Arguably one of the most essential supplements that girls need today. Previously, it was generally believed that only girls who were menopausal or had reached a certain age like 45 needed to take calcium supplements. But these days, the harried lifestyle that we lead has not helped much in terms of supplying the calcium needs to women from their regular diets. Processed foods have become a part of the culture and everyone knows that very little nutrition can be extracted from them. This is why it has become essential for girls in their 20s and 30s also to start taking calcium supplements. Be careful about what calcium supplement you take such as dolomite, calcium carbonate, or ground oyster shells, they're very poorly absorbed. Do your best to get it from natural sources like kale and broccoli.
Once the calcium quotient in a woman's life is significantly lowered, she's prone to osteoporosis, a disease in which the skeleton is weakened and bones crack easily. Girls who are less than 50 years of age should take calcium supplements of at least 500 mg, whereas those who are above 50 years should take 800 to 1000 mg of calcium in a supplement. While supplements make sure that your calcium requirements are met adequately, you should as well try and take calcium as part of your diet also. So, make sure to include milk and milk products. Whenever shopping for calcium supplements, ensure to look for those that are fortified with Vitamin D.
* Omega 3 – Omega 3 fatty acids are important because they can lower the risk of heart condition considerably. Ordinarily, heart disease was concerned to be something that men were susceptible to, more than women, but all that has changed now. With changing lifestyles and increased pressure on all fronts, women today are also slightly prone to heart problems. Omega 3 is typically found in oily fish and girls who do not eat fish that regularly are losing out on the wonderful benefits that omega 3 offers.
Frequent intake of omega 3 is linked to lowered levels of triglycerides, healthier joints and reduced inflammation. In today's world, there has been research to recommend that lowered levels of omega 3 are also connected with depression and mood swings.
Women who will benefit from omega 3 are those who do not consume fish regularly, those who have a risk of heart condition (either in the family or because of high triglycerides), pregnant and nursing girls and girls who are overweight and suffer from tenderness in The joints.
* Folate – Folate is usually the most overlooked vitamin because it is not considered to be that life changing or essential. But in fact it is. Folate is disolveable in water and is mostly found in dark leafy plants such as spinach and asparagus. Folate is really quite essential because it is required to form DNA and this is much more required in girls who are of child bearing age.
Pregnant women in the early stages of their pregnancy can cause great harm to their babies if they do not take sufficient folate in the first few weeks itself. Babies can develop a condition known as spina bifida in which the spine is left unclosed at the critical stage of their formation. Often women are not aware that they're pregnant and this is what causes the problems. This problem can be avoided in case women take folate supplements regularly even when they're not pregnant.
Here all adult women should take folate supplements of at least 400 mcg while those who are pregnant should take 400 to 800 mcg of folate.
* Co-enzyme Q 10 – Co-enzyme Q 10 is a nutrient that acts as a powerful antioxidant in the body, keeping you young and helping you have a healthy heart. This nutrient is soluble in fat and can be found usually in meat and fish. Women who do not eat either of these are vegetarians should ideally consider taking supplements of co-enzyme Q10 because they can not get it from their diet. Also, those girls who are at risk for cardiovascular disease and cancer should take this supplement also.
On a daily basis, at least 30 to 100mg of co-enzyme Q10 should be taken in the form of supplements. In case you are taking more than 100mg, then split it into 2 doses so that there is better absorption. It is also recommended to take the supplement along with meals or oil based gel capsules.
* Lutein – Lutein is an antioxidant that helps fight blindness in older women. It is also found in the breast and cervix and keeps these tissues healthy. In the skin, lutein protects from the damage inflicted by sunlight. Typically, lutein is a carotenoid which is fat soluble and can be found in corn, egg yolks and dark green leafy vegetables.
Girls who have a known risk of Age Related Macular Degeneration (AMRD) should take lutein supplements. Also those who are regularly in sunlight and face pollutants regularly should also take lutein to protect their skin. Ideally, a supplement should contain 6 to 10 mg of lutein, and when it is taken with food, it is absorbed better.
These five supplements are not the only supplements that girls should take, although these are many of the five most essential supplements that should become a part of your regular lifestyle. Most girls tend to take vitamins that have a combination of all the important vitamins in them and this is a great idea, although care should be taken to include these supplements also to maintain great health.