There are several symptoms that may indicate that you are suffering from insomnia. Do you find it difficult to concentrate on work during the day? Are you experiencing daytime irritability, fatigue, or drowsiness? Do you wake up too early in the morning? Do you rely on alcohol or sleeping pills to get your sleep at night? Is your sleep not refreshing? Once you wake up, even after midnight, do you find it difficult to get back to sleep? Do you wake up frequently during the night? Are you trying your best but are still unable to get a sound sleep? If your answer to all these questions is yes, it means you are not getting the amount and quality of sleep you need. This type of sleeping disorder is termed insomnia. The following is a brief rundown on some of its causes, effects, and possible cures.
Some Possible Causes Of Insomnia Include The Following.
– Stress is the biggest factor. Career issues, family problems, workplace pressure are some of the reasons that may make you stressed.
– Depression – an emotional feeling of hopelessness.
– Chronic feelings of worry and anxiety. – This type of sleeping disorder is also found in people who go through a traumatic experience.
– Your sleeping environment also matters. If it is not quiet and comfortable, you will not be able to get a good quality of sleep in an adequate amount.
– Some health issues may also interfere with sleep.
– Psychological disorders, such as clinical depression, bipolar disorder, hallucinations, and schizophrenia.
– The problem of indigestion may also be a possible cause. It is very difficult to let your body sleep if it is unable to digest the food you have eaten.
– We all tend to develop a body clock that tells the body when to sleep and when to wake up. Sometimes this body clock is disturbed, because of working in irregular shifts. This eventually leads to the problem of insomnia.
Insomnia can adversely affect your life, both physically and emotionally. If you are getting less than five hours of sleep, it is can lead to obesity. It not only affects your health, but also has serious effects on your personal and professional life. Lack of concentration in work is a very common complaint from people who suffer from insomnia. It can be very dangerous if your work involves operating heavy machinery frequently or driving for long hours. You will feel extremely tired during the daytime. It affects your mood also, as you always feel irritated. All these effects are certainly going to have a big impact on your lifestyle.
The Good News Is That Insomnia Is A Curable Disorder. The Following Methods May Prove Very Helpful In Dealing With This Problem:
– Get better sleeping environment. Your bedroom must be cool, dark, and quiet.
– Avoid or at least limit the intake of nicotine (cigarette), alcohol, and caffeine.
– Avoid getting into stressful situation before you go to bed. Involve yourself in activities that you enjoy, something that helps you feel relaxed.
– Avoid taking naps during daytime. It will only make your problem worse.
– Make a specific sleep schedule and stick to it on a regular basis. Avoid working in irregular shifts.
– Forcing yourself to sleep is not likely to work. So if you are not feeling sleepy, get up and do something that makes you feel relaxed, such as reading books, watching television, and listening to music. Reading a book while lying on bed has also been a very effective method to deal with this sleeping disorder.
– EEG Biofeedback (Neurofeedback) training can also prove very effective, but it is expensive.
The most important thing is that you must keep trying to think positively. Keep telling yourself that insomnia can be cured if you follow the aforementioned strategies. You are recommended not to try sleeping pills or medications unless you are suffering from chronic insomnia and your doctor prescribes it for you.