Sore throat, also known as pharyngitis, is quite common a problem found in every home. The primary indication of sore throat is a swollen and painful throat. It may occur due to a number of causes that are listed as follows:
1. Viral attack can cause sore throat. Viruses causing mononucleosis and flu can cause this problem. Such viruses often result in blister formation in mouth and throat.
2. Continuous breathing through mouth can cause utter dryness in throat, also leading to this problem.
3. Bacterial infection can cause this problem. Common sore throat causing bacteria are streptococcus and arcanobacterium.
4. Sinus drainage or post nasal drip may lead to infection in the throat.
5. Treating with antibiotics, chemotherapy and other immune-weakening medications can cause sore throat.
6. Allergies or allergic rhinitis can cause this problem.
7. Endotracheal intubation or inserting of tube can cause this problem.
8. Surgeries like tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy can lead to infection in the throat.
9. If some foreign item such as fish bone gets stuck in the throat, it may lead to sore throat.
10. Prolonged sore throat may be an indication of serious complications like throat cancer or HIV.
If the problem of sore throat lasts for more than a week, one must see a doctor. The problem is usually worst in the morning, and eases out as the day progresses.
1. A scratchy and swollen throat
2. Difficulty while swallowing, speaking and breathing.
3. Chills and fever
4. Swollen lymph glands
5. Cracked voice
6. Irritation in throat
7. Runny nose
8. Body ache
9. Stuffy ear
12. Draining patches on the throat
13. Rheumatic fever.
1. Gargling with saline water is a traditional remedy. One teaspoon salt is to be mixed in to a tumbler of warm water and used for gargling. This treatment eases out throat irritation, cleanses pharynx and improves circulation in throat.
2. Gargling with an infusion prepared from henna or mehendi leaves can fight against sore throat causing bacteria.
3. The fluid extracted from mango bark may be used along with 125 ml water to gargle. This soothes a scorching throat.
4. Gargling with a solution prepared from half teaspoons of baking soda and salt mixed in half a cup of warm water can be quite beneficial.
5. One may soak ginger root in a glass of warm water for about 10 minutes, and then drink the water frequently all through the day.
6. Two tablespoon sesame oil may be mixed with one tablespoon honey. The mixture is to be taken thrice a day.
7. One may add powdered cinnamon to a glass of water along with a pinch of ground pepper and two tablespoon honey, and then boil the mixture. Intake of this solution is an effective home remedy for sore throat
8. Lots of water is to be taken, for water can flush out infection. But cold water, cold drinks, sour food items and fried food are to be avoided. Such items can worsen this problem.
9. Sucking slowly a mixture of half tablespoon honey and half tablespoon lemon juice along with a pinch of pepper, can soothe the soreness in throat.
10. Garlic tea functions as a natural antiseptic in curing this problem.
11. Sucking hard candy can give some relief, for the process keeps the mouth and throat moistened.
12.Chamomile tea is good for this problem.