Food poisoning is a serious food borne gastrointestinal disease. Harmful bacteria like Salmonella, Shigella and Clostridium get contaminated with cooked or uncooked food resulting in food poisoning. Cooked food must not be kept uncovered for a long time. Perishable food items like fish and milk get contaminated easily and should not be consumed quickly. Food must not be taken in unhygienic conditions as there is a fair chance of contamination. It is followed by severe abdominal pains, diarrhea and vomiting. The disease should be treated immediately as serious conditions may lead to fatality. Every year millions die from food poisoning across the globe. Clean and freshly cooked food should be consumed. Uncovered food or food from roadside vendors must be strictly avoided.
1. Severe abdominal pain and cramps
2. Vomiting and diarrhea
3. Blood passing through stools
5. Dehydration due to vomiting
Consumption of contaminated and stale food is the major cause of food poisoning.
The symptoms can be controlled to a great extent by simple home remedies. Serious patients must be immediately hospitalized.
1. Ginger is very effective in treating food poisoning. A mixture of ginger paste and buttermilk should be given to the patients 3-4 times a day.
2. Mix equal amounts of ginger and lemon extracts and add little pepper powder. Taking this mixture 3-4 times a day reduces the symptoms.
3. Ginger tea is also very beneficial for patients suffering from this problem.
4. Grate a whole papaya and boil in water for few minutes. Strain this mixture and give the extract to the patient 2-3 times a day.
5. To a half cup of curd, add 2-3 tablespoons of basil leaf juice. Add a pinch of black salt and pepper to it. This should be taken 3-4 times a day to get relief from vomiting and abdominal pain.
6. Equal amounts of cumin and fenugreek seeds (about 5 grams each) are powdered and added to a glass of water. Drinking this mixture provides relief from abdominal and vomiting in food poison.
7. Taking raw garlic is very effective in treating this problem. Garlic acts as a detoxifier and kills bacteria in the digestive tract.
8. Drinking a glass of water adding few drops of mint juice at regular intervals helps in reducing the symptoms.
9. Drinking herbal tea made from herbs like mint, chamomile, raspberry and blackberry are beneficial in reducing symptoms of food poisoning.
10. Electrolytes, tender coconut water and fluids must be given to the patient at regular intervals to prevent dehydration.