It is indeed unfortunated to be diagnosed with an unceasing illness of the kidney. The patient is naturally concerned to know his status, what caused the disease and the kind of treatments available. At present, many people are inclined to opt for alternative therapies, mainly to avoid pharmaceuticals treatment as they are applicable to the medicines approved by the FDA. Moreover, there is a segment of public that believes that pharmaceutical drugs are increasingly becoming ineffective in treating many diseases and cause harmful side effects. Alternative treatments are also available for treating many diseases of kidney.
The treatment and procedure is determined by the root cause of the malady. For instance, PKD or polycystic kidney will need a different treatment than what has been caused by prolonged consumption of excess volumes of alcohol or another substance abuse. Patients with diabetic issues will need to have a very strict control of their level of blood sugar for keeping away any more renal deterioration. In extreme cases, it may become necessary to remove one of the kidneys. If and when the other kidney too fails, there may not be any other option but to go for kidney transplant. The last course for kidney patients may be to undergo dialysis treatment, where a machine is employed to filter blood and send it back to the body as the kidneys are no more capable of performing this vital function.
In case of many patients, apart from the above available treatments it is possible to use natural remedies. Here are a couple of helpful alternative ways for treating chronic kidney diseases. Some of these may seem farfetched but are backed up by scientific research.
1. Lei Gong Teng: traditional Chinese doctors have been using for a long time but now researchers of allopathic medicines have realized its benefits in the treatment of polycystic kidney illness. Dr. Craig Crews from Yale University could successfully wipe out PKD cysts from mice in his lab.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar: For generations, this product has been successfully used for breaking down kidney stones. Surely, if something is known for dissolving pearls, it can be expected to split up the calculi produced by calcium in kidneys. It also enhances urine output, which helps flushing the kidneys. Apple cider vinegar has also antibacterial properties that help healing and even prevent bacterial infections.
3. Baking Soda: British researchers believe that sodium bicarbonate (the chemical name for baking soda) helps to slow down the growth of chronic kidney diseases. The explanation given is that baking soda characteristically neutralizes the acidity in blood that contributes to kidney problems.
4. Corn silk: Often, trimmings of corn web are discarded but these can be helpful in treatment of urinary and kidney infections. They also help avoiding the formation of stones and the elimination of edema, an offshoot of kidney diseases.
5. Dandelion: Although mostly considered as a weed, this ever-present plant had been playing an important role in indigenous American medicines. Boiled leaves and roots of this plant can be utilized for treating kidney diseases. They are also known to have diuretic properties that help preventing the disease.