Dog Rat Poison Symptoms, Treatment and Prevention

Rat poison is a rodenticide that contains dangerous toxin chemical name bromethalin or warfarin which can cause illness symptoms such as hemorrhaging and internal bleeding inside important organs of dog body.

Dog eating poison is a very common case because these dangerous chemical are often left around the areas where dogs can get it easily.

Dogs can also get poisoned if they eat rats that has bromethalin inside the body and this case is called secondary poisoning in dog.

Dog rat poison symptoms

hemorrhaging
internal bleeding
muscle tremors
seizures
impaired movement
loss of appetite (anorexia)
paralysis of the hind limbs
depression

If a dog has ingested extremely high dose then rat poison can cause sa sudden onset of muscle tremors and seizures.

These signs and symptoms mentioned above are usually develop within 2 to 7 days after rat poison ingestion but there are some case that illness signs developed after 2 weeks if the ingested poison is mild.

Rat poison diagnosis

The test that veterinarian often use for analysis are urine test, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to scan the brain, computed tomography (CT) scan for viewing the excess fluid inside the brain (cerebral edema).

Rat poison treatmentIf you dog is not feeling well and you suspect that your dog has eaten rat poison the try to induce vomiting by using hydrogen peroxide given to the mouth.

Induce vomiting should be done every 4 to 8 hours for at least 2 to 3 days after the ingestion but it is always better to take your dog to your local veterinarian to get the right and effective treatments.

Since eating rat poison can causes dogs to have symptom such as loss of appetite so supplement food is need during the initial period of rat poison treatment.

It may take up to 1 month to recover from mild poisoning and must be monitored frequently to avoid further damage that can be done to your dog.

Rat poison prevention

Keep all the objects that contain bromethalin out of reach from your dog. In case you use rodent poisons to kill rat in your house then you should stay alert for mouse corpse to avoid secondary poisoning.