What Is Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) ?
The mainstay of medical treatment for the symptoms of, as well as to protect against osteoporosis and heart, during menopause is HRT. It treats menopause as a hormone deficiency condition and alleviates the symptoms by replacing the hormones estrogen and progesterone. It mimics the average levels produced during the normal menstrual cycle. There is diverse range of HRT products and the number of ways in which it can be administered. Women with the help of their doctors can therefore find an HRT regimen that matches their needs and produces few side effects.
Benefits Of HRT
* Relief of menopausal symptoms.
* Prevention of heart disease and stroke.
* Maintenance of bones, muscles and tissue.
* Improvement of body shape. Increase of well-being.
Side Effects And Risks Of HRT
* Possible uterine cancer but can be protected by progestogens.
* Increased risk of breast cancer.
* Weight gain, greasy skin, irritability, etc. (Cause by progesterones)
* Breast tenderness, weight gain, headaches etc. (Caused by estrogens)
* Inconvenience of monthly periods.
Who Should Not Take Hormone Replacement Therapy ( HRT)?
For some, HRT is not a safe option.
Talk to your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
* A history of breast cancer.
* Recent uterine of ovarian cancer.
* An active blood-clotting disorder.
* Undiagnosed vaginal bleeding.
* Gallbladder disease.
* Liver disease, eg hepatitis.
Various Forms of Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT )
1. Tablets (Oral HRT)
Tablets are the most commonly prescribed form of HRT. Estrogen therapy is prescribed for women who have had hysterectomy. Those who have not had hysterectomy, usually take a combination of progestogen and estrogen.
Implants are pellets of estrogen which are inserted under the skin through a simple surgical procedure. The pellets will last for about 6 months.
3. Patches (Trans-dermal HRT)
A patch is a piece of plastic containing a reservoir of estrogen that is applied to the skin. It is replaced every three or four days. The hormones are delivered directly to the blood-stream through the skin.
Pessaries containing estrogen are delivered directly into the vagina.
5. Cream And Gels
Cream and gels containing estrogen are delivered in measured doses directly into the vagina using and applicator.
Focus On The Future
Midlife, during which time menopause usually take place, is a confluence of life events: the departure of the children, parenting parents, career moves etc. it is likely that you have attained financial stability and have more time on your hands. At this crossroad of life, it is appropriate to stop and take stock, and decide how you want to spend the rest of your life. Midlife offers you the freedom to change and focus on your future. Inject some fun and challenge into your plans. Increase outside interests, maximize your resources and fulfill your life-long dreams.