Every day there is an emergency of some sort. It could be an earthquake, fire, auto accident, some natural disaster or just a cut finger. Everyone needs to be prepared for an emergency before it happens. Most people are so busy with everyday life that they neglect to be prepared for first aid emergencies. Just imagine playing your favorite sport, hiking on your vacation, riding a bicycle or doing your favorite thing and an emergency happens. Are you prepared for this emergency? Most people would not because they did not think ahead.
First aid kits will allow you to be prepared for any emergencies. A well stocked first aid kit, kept within easy reach, is a necessity in every home. It would be wise to not only keep a first aid kit in your house but also in your car. If you purchase a first aid kit be sure your kit has enough supplies for the entire family. If you choose to assemble your own, choose a container that is roomy, durable, easy to carry and simple to open. Plastic tackle boxes or containers for art supplies are ideal. If you decide to assemble your own kit be sure to include the following items:
* sterile gauze
* adhesive tape
* adhesive bandages in several sizes
* elastic bandage
* antiseptic wipes
* antibiotic cream (triple-antibiotic ointment)
* antiseptic solution (like hydrogen peroxide)
* hydrocortisone cream (1%)
* acetaminophen and ibuprofen
* extra prescription medications (if the family is going on vacation)
* sharp scissors
* safety pins
* disposable instant cold packs
* calamine lotion
* alcohol wipes or ethyl alcohol
* plastic gloves (at least 2 pairs)
* flashlight and extra batteries
* mouthpiece for administering CPR (can be obtained from your local Red Cross)
* your list of emergency phone numbers
* blanket (stored nearby)
Upon completion of your kit to make sure you read the manual so you will know how to use the contents of your kit. Always store your kit in a place that is easily accessible. Be sure to check your first aid kit regularly to restock any missing items or replaced medications that have expired.
Be smart, Be ready, Be prepared because the life you save may be your loved one.