Chemotherapy is the treatment used to attack cancer cells, which is available in the form of pills, catheter and injections. Chemotherapy treatment is very effective as drug travels throughout the body and kills cancer cells found wherever.
Drugs used for chemotherapy are chemically designed to target cells that are growing and dividing rapidly, when these drugs reach the cancer cells they hold up their growth. One can go through this treatment at home, in hospital or also in clinic.
The frequency and dose of treatment depends on health, type of drug, body response and stage of cancer. The patient can be treated on daily, weekly, monthly or on off schedule basis.
Although it is true that the chemotherapy treatment is very effective, it produces some side effects. It is an anti cancer drug which can damage normal healthy cells. These side effects can be temporary or permanent.
Following are some common side effect caused by chemotherapy treatment.
- Fatigue : People have different types of side effects due to chemotherapy. Those side effects include tiredness during treatment while some can live their normal lives during treatment.
- Nausea and vomiting : This side effect is very commonly occurring during chemotherapy treatment. Use of anti-sickness drugs is the way to control nausea and vomiting. You have to take these drugs under regulation of your doctor only.
- Mouth sores and ulcers : Some soaring and ulcers occur in the mouth due to some chemotherapy drugs. To avoid this use mouth wash regularly.
- Hair loss : This is very harmful side effect and is very hard to bear. You can avoid hair loss by covering around the scalp during chemotherapy treatment, which help to stop hair loss to some extent. After treatment hairs will grow back.
- Susceptibility to infections : Some drugs destroy normal cells including white blood cells, when they are acting on cancer cells. White blood cells fight with infections and these cells are very important. Shortage of WBC weakens immune system of body, which can make you susceptible to infections.
- Decrease in blood cell count : There is great potential to become weak or anemic during chemotherapy. There are regular blood tests should be done to avoid decrease in blood cell count.