Penile atrophy, two words no man wants to hear together. Unfortunately, it happens. Not completely sure what penile atrophy is? Also known as penis shrinkage, it’s the decrease in the length and/or girth of the penis caused by extensive loss of penile tissue. This condition can be temporary, or in more severe cases, the tissue loss may be permanent. In either case, there are several ways to either reverse it (in the case of temporary atrophy) or to compensate. Let’s get up-to-date on what can cause penis shrinkage, as well as the potential treatments and how to protect against it.
Penile Atrophy Causes
There are several different causes of penile atrophy. Here are a few of the most common:
1) More Candles on the Birthday Cake. As a man ages, his penis can be the victim of many small sports- or sex-related injuries that cause an accumulation of scar tissue. This can affect the spongy erectile tissue, eventually leading to penis shrinkage.
2) Putting on the lbs. Weight gain, specifically around the stomach, can make the penis appear smaller. This occurs because the penis is attached to the abdominal wall, and when the stomach expands, it pulls the penis inward, making it appear smaller.
3) Peyronie’s Disease. This is where fibrous scar tissue develops within the penis, causing it to become curved during erections. This can be very painful for men. Peyronie’s can cause a reduction in both the length and girth of a man’s penis.
4) Medication. Some meds can cause penis shrinkage. They include but are not limited to medicines like Adderall, some antipsychotics and antidepressants, and some drugs that are prescribed for treating an enlarged prostate.
5) Smoking. Smoking injures blood vessels in the body, including those in the penis. This can prevent the penis from filling with blood to create an erection, leading to a smaller appearance. Smoking also causes overall tissue loss, and men who can’t kick the habit may find that, over time, the length of their penis may decrease by an inch or more.
Penile Atrophy Treatments
No matter the cause of penile atrophy, there’s a treatment that can help. Here are a few treatments and tips for reversing or lessening the effects of penis shrinkage.
1) Lose Weight. Get down to a healthy weight with a sensible diet, regular exercise, and optimal sleep.
2) Quit Smoking. Men who quit smoking should stop (for many reasons), but especially to help out their fledgling members! Find a program, grab a patch, or quit cold turkey to get the blood flowing!
3) Male Enhancers. Pop the little blue pill to boost blood flow and experience a stronger, firmer erection. Heart patients should be careful when using medications like Viagra or Cialis. Always see a doctor for a script to confirm it’s a safe option and won’t interfere with other medications.
4) Surgery. For men with scar tissue or Peyronie’s Disease, there are surgical and ultrasound technology options to remove scar tissue. While shrinkage is permanent in this case, it can enhance feeling and sensual performance.
Preventing Penile Atrophy
While age is inevitable, there are some ways to prevent penile atrophy. Maintain a healthy weight and stay away from smoking. Also, be sure to have frequent erections to exercise the penis and keep the blood vessels fit and primed for action. See a doctor regularly and don’t be shy about discussing any new penis issues going on.
Be sure to keep the penis clean and well moisturized as well. After cleansing the skin with a mild cleanser, rinsing, and drying gentle, use a specially formulated penis health creme (health professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil, which has been clinically proven safe and mild for skin) on the penis. These crèmes contain vital nutrients and minerals for the penis to not only keep skin supple but also strong and vital.