Toenail fungus, alternatively termed as onychomycosis, is a condition that leads to the destruction, discoloration, and disfiguration of nails. It usually occurs when a kind of dermatophytes in the form of Trichophyton rubrum and Trichophyton interdigitale feed on the keratin – the tough protein that makes up the toenail’s hard surface. Putting on tight shoes and socks for prolonged period, spending too much time in public gyms and swimming pools, poor foot hygiene, skin trauma, and the skin’s abnormal pH level are regarded as some of the top causes for the development of toenail fungus. Further, since it is contagious, toenail fungus can also spread to other parts of the body.
A number of treatment options are available for toenail fungus, from oral medications and ointments such as Medicated Nail Laquer, Terbinatine, and Whitfield’s Ointment to laser treatment. Certain home remedies are also considered effective for toenail fungus, especially in its initial stage. Mentioned below are some of the home remedies available for toenail fungus.
- Using vinegar, particularly apple cider vinegar, may sometimes prove helpful to cure toenail fungus. Pour equal quantity of vinegar and water in a bucket and then soak your affected foot in it for 25 – 30 minutes. Then thoroughly dry your toenails.
- Another effectual home remedy to cure toenail fungus is to soak your affected foot in a solution of water and Listerine mouth wash – a kind of antiseptic lotion.
- Applying yoghurt on the infected toenails and leaving it for 25 – 30 minutes may also help to cure toenail fungus.
- Likewise, using Vicks vaporub can aid for the prevention of further spreading of toenail fungus.
- Applying a mixture of one teaspoon of olive oil and few drops of oregano essential oil on the infected nails can help for the prevention of toenail fungus.
- Onions also contain properties to heal toenail fungus. All you need to do is to remove its peel and slice it in order to rub it on the nails with fungal infection.
- Alcohol can also help for curing toenail fungus. Take a cotton ball and dip it in alcohol. Then rub it on the affected area at least three times a day.
- Applying turmeric paste is also considered effective to get rid of toenail fungus.
Apart from these, it is equally important to keep your feet hygiene and dry through the proper usage of shoes and socks. Pedicures can also help to ensure the health of your toenails as well as feet.