Clay or mud is an important as water as an external healing agent. The benefits derived from clay therapy are very much like hydrotherapy. Clay Therapy is a totally different experience altogether.Clay is used in the form of paste, clay can be directly applied as a salve, pack, or as poultice. Usually clay paste is applied to the abdomen and other parts of the body which show symptoms of the disorder. Clay absorbs toxins and removes them from the body, brings together the natural magnetism of the sun, air and water. Clay is used inside and used externally. Patients receiving clay water, there is improvement in diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, liver, kidney, skin, to treat gout and atherosclerosis, with anemia.
Clay or Mud packs are used for following purposes:-
1. Clay pack is reducing the swelling of any part of the body.
2. The cooling effect of a mud pack has greater than the wet pack. In case of high fever, the mud pack helps to brought down the temperature.
3. Clay has the unique property of absorbing toxins from the body. You can use this power of clay is provide by the fact that if clay is applied to a boil or a suppurating wound, the pus is quickly drawn out and the wound gets clean.
4. A clay pack reduces the tension of the muscles and soothes over-stimulated nerves.
5. Clay paste or a mud lack gives immediate relief from pain.
The mud pack is prepared after obtaining clay from 4 inches below the surface of earth. Clay of any color can be used for this purpose. The clay obtained must not contain harmful materials or chemicals. When preparing the clay for application as a paste or pack with warm water, after removing pebbles, stones and other impurities and it is allowed to cool and later it is spread on a cloth piece. The duration is 10 minutes to half an hour. If you would leave clay paste or pack is uncovered, it has a cooling effect on the affected part. But if it is covered well with thick cotton or woolen cloth, generally a warming effect is developed.
Clay pack or mud pack is highly beneficial treatment in fevers, constipation, diarrhoea, gastric, duodenal and intestinal ulcers, bleeding of the uterus, piles, fissures, ear and eye troubles, appendicitis, stomachache, irregularity in menstruation liver and kidney troubles, tooth ache, head ache, and general body aches and such other disorders. The beneficial effects of the use of clay on boils, wounds, pain or swellings have been found to exceed all expectations. Mud pack reduces the swelling of any part of the body. In case of high fever, the temperature can be brought down with the help of clay pack. It has to be changed frequently till the desired lowering of temperature is effected.
Clay is found in different colures in different places, but no matter whatever the colour, it is quite beneficial.