Every year around 1 % of people within the age group of 60 years to 65 years suffer from Paralysis because of
The break down of blood supply can be because of:
1. Brain hemorrhage: By sudden rupture of a blood vessel in the Brain causing severe blood loss and damage to the affected region of the Brain resulting into non functioning of the organ controlled by the affected region of brain. the brain.
2. Thrombosis: Thrombosis is coagulation of blood in a blood vessel. Since the blood is in liquid state circulating in the blood vessels net work in the whole body. The coagulated mass of blood causes Clogging of very small diameter blood vessel of the brain by a clot formation. The affected part of the brain does not get the blood supply resulting into regional damage of the brain also impairing the functions of the organ controlled by the affected region of the brain.
a) brain hemorrhage:
10 % to 15 % of the Stroke Patients suffer from hemorrhage. It is a very serious condition and fatal in 25 to 50 %. This requires immediate consultation from a Specialized Neuro Physician. High Blood pressure is the main cause of hemorrhage in 75 % of the patients besides this malformation of the blood vessel, local inflammation of the blood vessel, conditions like hemophilia or Brain Injury.
80 % of the stroke patients suffer from thrombosis. It can be because of Diabetes, hypertension, High cholesterol in blood, Heavy smoking, sedentary habits. Because of this the vessels get constricted and deposit of thrombus causes blockage. Rheumatic heart disease patients are also prone to suffer.
Prior to the attack following symptoms are encountered like loss of vision, weakness of limbs and unconsciousness. As suddenly these symptoms are noticed they disappear also within few minutes or an hour the patient becomes alright, but these initial symptoms should not be overlooked. If treated in time
Prior to blockage of blood vessels patient experiences headache for some time and thereafter
In contrast on the other hand in the case of
The patient should be immediately admitted in a hospital and put under the supervision of a Neuro Physician. Patients laboratory investigations like Blood Sugar, Urea, Electrolytes, ECG and CT Scan should be carried out to find the cause of
First 48 to 72 hours are very critical. Neurological advice should be taken based on the investigation findings and treatment started. Blood Pressure should be controlled and medication given for resolution of the thrombus from the blood vessel. Patient should be put on exercises in consultation with the Physiotherapist so that the affected part is rejuvenated.
It is necessary that Hypertension, Blood Sugar and Cholesterol is kept under control. Regular treatment should be carried out if the patient is suffering from Hypertension or having Cardiac involvement also.
2. It can take months or years for complete recovery, which is a slow process.
3. Patient should be advised to do normal work.
4. Long Period of disease may leave some residual defects, which can be reduced by regular exercise.