Cat Poisoning – 7 Reasons Not To Induce Vomiting If Your Cat Is Poisoned


The usual cat poisoning symptoms are vomiting or diarrhea. Unfortunately, not all symptoms become immediately apparent. Often the affects of her consuming something poisonous to cats are not revealed for several weeks. If you suspect cat poisoning, there are several situations when you should not induce vomiting.

Sometimes a cat is poisoned, but never swallowed a toxic product. She may have inhaled or come in contact with something poisonous to cats. A good example is carbon monoxide poisoning in a poorly ventilated room using a propane heater.

In most cases of cat poisoning, getting your pet to vomit is the most important thing that you can do.

To induce vomiting, give hydrogen peroxide at 1 teaspoon per 10 lbs of body weight. If your cat does not vomit in 10 minutes, repeat again. NEVER do more than two treatments of peroxide.

However, DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING if your situation matches one of these:

Situation 1: Is unconscious

Situation 2: Is having seizures (convulsions)

Situation 3: Has already vomited

Situation 4: Been in contact with the poison for 2 hours or more

Situation 5: Has swallowed acid or alkali product, cleaning solution or petroleum product

Situation 6: Has swallowed an object

Situation 7: Consumed something caustic such as drain cleaner or bleach

Generally, if your cat is exhibiting these symptom your cat may be poisoned.

  • Seizures
  • Vomiting
  • Loss of appetite
  • Having diarrhea
  • Swelling of the tongue or other mouth tissues
  • Staggering
  • Excessive salivation

If you suspect your cat has inhaled, absorbed or otherwise ingested something toxic DO NOT WAIT for cat poisoning symptoms to appear. Call your veterinarian immediately or call the ASPCA Poison Hotline at 1-888-426-4435.

If your cat is showing symptoms of cat poisoning, it is important that she is examined by your veterinarian and treated appropriately. Some toxins can progress and lead to severe seizures. If you suspect antifreeze poisoning your cat must be treated within four to six hours or she will experience irreversible kidney damage.

Effective treatment depends on immediate treatment and knowing what the substance is — bring it with you. Take samples of diarrhea or vomit too. If you can’t take the suspected substance, write down the contents, manufacturer and any phone numbers.

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Animal Poison Control Center can help too.

In 2007, the ASPCA Center assisted 7,200 callers with concerns involving common household cleaners. Gastrointestinal distress and irritation to the skin, eyes or respiratory tract may be possible if a curious animal has an inappropriate encounter with such products. If you have not had a chance to look at the ASPCA video on poisoning take a minute to check it out now at the links below.