Caraway seed is an ancient remedy for digestive problems, bronchitis, and even colic. Warm tea itself tends to help digestion, but the properties of the caraway seed bring added benefit. The best way to experience the benefit is through tea which is simple to make at home if you have caraway seeds on hand.
Caraway Tea Recipe
For a one cup of tea, use about twelve ounces of water and a tablespoon of fresh caraway seed, or about two teaspoons of seed to one cup of water. Follow the simple steps below.
- Place the water in a kettle and bring to boil.
- Place your seeds in a tea cup.
- Pour the boiling water over your caraway seeds.
- Cover the tea cup with a plate or other cover to keep the heat of the water inside the cup.
- Allow the tea to steep for at least fifteen minutes.
- Pour tea into a second cup through a strainer, straining off the seeds.
- Discard seeds.
- Add honey to the tea to taste.
Alternatively, you may choose to boil the seeds in the water itself, boiling for 15-20 minutes as a quick method for getting maximum benefits out of your caraway. However, if you are able to wait overnight, your tea will be optimal if you allow it to steep for hours, much like an herbal infusion.
A Longer, More Effective Method
The key with good caraway tea is to let the tea steep to allow the benefits of the caraway seed to be diffused into the water. Consider making a large batch of tea and allowing it to steep overnight. This is a common technique used in herbal infusions to maximize the benefits of the tea. To use this method, simply do the following:
- Bring one quart of water to a boil.
- Pour boiling water over about three tablespoons of caraway seed waiting in a sauce pan.
- Cover the saucepan with a well-fitting lid.
- Allow saucepan to sit covered overnight.
- In the morning, strain the tea into a jar for easy storage, straining out the seeds.
- Enjoy this tea with honey until you are feeling better.
This tea will keep in your refrigerator for up to two weeks in a well-sealed container. Simply warm it up when you are ready for a cup of tea. It will also sit well in your kitchen all day long, so you could make a day’s supply of caraway tea each evening before you go to bed. Using this method, you will have a high quality tea all day long, for as long as you need it.