Can I Use Clorox to Treat Toenail Fungus

One of the common questions asked by internet users is whether or not they can or should use clorox to treat toenail fungus.

First of all, Clorox may or may not be a routine name depending on where you are from in the world. Since it's an American company, the name is quite familiar to most United States citizens. Clorox is a chemical bleach that is used primarily for washing clothes.

Clorox is quite toxic and only a small amount is used compared to standard laundry detergent. The web is full of home remedies suggesting various recipes for using Clorox as a solution to get rid of toenail fungus.

The obvious, and very dangerous problem, with Clorox is its toxicity. Some of the recipes state to use just a tablespoon per one full bucket of warm water. It is assumed that this small amount of bleach will not affect the person who uses it.

Since there is no evidence that this is an effective way to kill toenail fungus, anyone who uses this method is generally playing trial and error. You are also putting yourself at risk because you do not know what kind of reaction your body may have to the chemical. It is not uncommon for humans to have severe reactions to things we eat, so it would not be far fetched to assume one could easily have a severe reaction to something that is not meant to enter our bodies.

Using clorox to treat toenail fungus is not something that the product was designed to do, nor does it appear safe to allow such a chemical to penetrate the skin via soakings.

There are other natural chemicals like camphor, undecyclenic acid, and acetic acid found in apple cider vinegar that may be a safer option. Before using any unfamiliar product to end toenail fungus, you should consult with a local doctor.