Dietary supplements are pretty much growing popular nowadays especially with attractive slogans such as “100% Natural” appended to most labels. However, are these dietary supplements really worth your money and health? There is no absolute answer to this question. However, due to lack of scientific evidence, it may even be said that in general, these dietary supplements may not be worth anyone’s while. But this does not mean that every dietary supplement is a waste of money.
Purchasing dietary supplements for arthritis is not to be treated as mere impulsive or mindless shopping for clothes and cosmetics where you try one after another, pick one that suits your tastes or worse pick one right off the bat. This is because most dietary supplements are not required to obtain FDA approval in order to be marketed to the public. When it comes to dietary supplements, standards that are applied to counter and prescription drugs are not given ample concern. To maximize your money’s worth and to safeguard from any adverse effects to your health, careful discernment, research, combined with physician’s counsel is necessary. Here are some tips that you can live by when considering dietary supplements for arthritis as well as a clarification of some myths that people have about them.
1. Probably the most important thing to remember is to always consult with your physician whether supplements are necessary or not. If they are or if your physician prescribes them himself/herself, canvass for products (if your physician hasn’t already specified one) and check once more with your doctor before purchasing or trying them out yourself.
2. It is a common misconception that dietary supplements can replace counter or prescription drugs. A very important but often neglected piece of information is that dietary supplements should be treated for what they are. This implies that dietary supplements are supposed to supplement an already existing form of treatment or medication program. Dietary supplements can never and should never be treated as substitutes for your physician’s prescribed mode of treatment.
3. What makes dietary supplements sellable is the claim to being all-natural. People often mistake this as a sign that the product is made up of “all natural” ingredients. What is natural can’t hurt right? This precisely is a misconception that needs to be corrected. Natural ingredients, especially if not formulated correctly may pose serious dangers to your health.
4. Another misconception is that quantity supersedes quality. People sometimes think that the effect of the supplement is amplified when taken in high quantities. Another is that a supplement may supplement another supplement that is why multiple kinds or brands are taken almost simultaneously. What is true is that at best, they may just cancel each other out or render no effect at all or at worst, you endanger yourself to drug overdose. Moreover, it would be almost impossible to detect the source of any negative effects that you may incur in the process due to the multiplicity of the supplements taken.
5. Always check for the reputability of the brand or the company whenever you shop for dietary supplements. Make sure to stick with one brand unless otherwise recommended by your doctor. This makes it easier to pinpoint the source of side effects.
6. Glucosamine Chondroitin is the most popular supplement on the market today with sales skyrocketing due to our aging population and the common form of Osteoarthritis being quite prevalent. While you may find hundreds of brands available, the most popular comes in liquid form and made by Synflex America. Synflex Liquid Glucosamine has been around several years, has thousands of positive testimonials, and in closing in quickly on over 1 million bottles sold worldwide. Over the years Synflex has added a more powerful formula containing 1500 mg (Syn-flex 1500) of glucosamine per ¼ oz dose and a new formula for dogs and cats that has been veterinarian recommended, Syn-flex for Pets with a Beef flavor. Very easy to administer compared to pills, safe, effective and inexpensive, it’s my preferred choice. You can find out more about Synflex Liquid Glucosamine and its other products available here at http://www.syn-flex-usa.com.