There are many people out there that aspire to have a body that can turn heads just by walking down the street. Some people want to be the biggest and the best while other people may only want to add just a little muscle to their body. Even so, a bodybuilder has to put in a lot of hard work and dedication. They must train hard and rest well but one of the most important parts (if not the most important) is a bodybuilders nutrition.
Here are some important things to know when it comes to a bodybuilders nutrition whether you are trying to bulk up, lose fat or maintain weight and muscle.
1) There are calories in the things we consume. Calories are energy for our body. They’re what gives us the fuel to keep our body working the way it should be.
2) Each person has their own basic metabolic rate. This is the amount of daily calories needed in order to maintain their weight. Consuming more than the basic metabolic rate will result in weight gain and consuming less would result in weight loss.
3) Take note of the fat, protein and carbohydrates in foods. These are known as macro nutrients. There are 9 calories in 1 gram of fat, 4 calories in 1 gram of protein and 4 calories in 1 gram of carbohydrates. Macro nutrients are key for working out a bodybuilders nutrition.
3a) Fat is also known as stored energy. In order to keep your body fat percentage low, you should also keep your daily fat intake low. Despite this, you should still consume some healthy fat. Healthy fats are found in foods such as peanut butter and avocados.
3b) Protein is what enables your muscles to grow. When trying to gain or maintain muscle mass, it is important to consume a high amount of protein. Some studies recommend to have 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight in order to gain muscle e.g. A 150 pound person should have around 225 grams of protein per day. protein is found in meats, eggs and beans.
3c) Carbohydrates are also known as instant energy. In order for your body to perform properly, you should make sure that you have enough carbohydrates each day. once you know how much protein and fat you are going to consume each day, make up the rest of the calories needed for your particular diet with carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are found in rice, pasta and potatoes.
4) When sticking to a bodybuilders nutrition, you should eat little and often. Divide your daily food requirements into 5 or 6 meals a day. One reason for doing this is so you won’t get bloated by eating large portions of food in one sitting. Another reason is that you will always have a steady supply of fuel which will prevent using muscle as fuel.
5) As well as having a good bodybuilders nutrition, make sure you work out hard and rest well. Without working out, your muscles will simply have no reason to grow. Without rest, your muscles will have no chance to grow.
6) Be consistent! Once you have your bodybuilders nutrition and other things in place, you need to stick to it in order to see results.