Organic kelp supplements started to become popular in the United States since the nuclear disaster started. This is because kelp, a form of seaweed and one of the most common members of the brown algae family contains high levels of natural iodine. When the thyroid absorbs it, it helps prevent the thyroid from taking harmful levels of radioactive iodine present in the environment. Ever since then, many people, not only in America but all over the world store kelp supplements in their medicine cabinets due to the numerous health benefits that it offer. Eager to know the health benefits that you can get from organic kelp pills? Let me share to you some of them.
1. Kelp supplements are a natural source of iodine. As I have mentioned above, kelp helps protect the body against radiation poisoning. Iodine is also a vital element in regulating thyroid hormones and female hormones. This is why people with thyroid conditions can greatly benefit from this kind of supplement.
2. Regular intake of kelp supplements helps prevent estrogen related cancers. It has long been known that Japan has the lowest rates of ovarian, breast and endometrial cancer among all the countries in the world. Diets of Japanese women are rich in kelp hence the low rate of estrogen related cancers. Studies have also shown that a kelp rich diet lowered serum estradiol levels in women.
3. Kelp supplements help maintain the body’s PH balance. It contains sodium alginate which is very good in removing heavy metals in the body. It also contains alkali which is vital for the body’s PH chemistry. As we all know, maintaining a good PH balance is vital to your health and well being. If your body doesn’t maintain a good PH balance, it won’t be able to function properly. You can get hyperacidity, ulcer, acid reflux and other PH imbalance related conditions.
4. Kelp supplements can help you lose weight. It can help stimulate your metabolism and control your appetite. By balancing your body’s PH level – which kelp can help you achieve, you may also be able to lose those excess pounds.
5. Kelp supplements can help slow down the development of wrinkles. Unknown to many, kelp is being widely used in skin care products as it has been proven to keep aging at bay. The seawater content of kelp is similar to the human plasma so taking kelp supplements regularly is really a good way for your skin to get all the nutritional benefits that it needs.