The Mayo Clinic recently completed a report on back pain and it’s causes. According to this report four out of five adults will experience back problems sometime in their lives. This is pretty dramatic numbers especially when you factor in all the costs associated with treatment, medication, surgery, recovery, therapy and time lost from work. I know just in my own situation costs for surgery, doctors visits, therapy, lost job time is in the thousands multiply this by the millions who are suffering from an aching back and according to one estimate the cost is $85 billion and growing.
So what are the causes? According to the Mayo researchers there are a number of causes including:
1. Muscles and ligament strains caused by improper lifting or a sudden awkward movement.
2. Herniated Disc; Cause when a disc bulges out due to strains. This was my problem, herniated disc in the lower back..
3. Sciatic: When the bulging disc puts pressure on nerve roots (
5. Scoliosis and/or un natural curves in the spine.
6. Osteoporosis; When the bone loses calcium becomes brittle and breaks.
What can be done to reduce this tremendous cost? Clearly the major way to reduce or eliminate back problems is to follow a regular exercise program. Time and time again in report after report exercise is the most highly rated way to relieve a bad back and prevent it from coming back.
One of the top rated programs is called the Lose The Back Pain System developed by therapists and doctors of the Healthy back Institute. This program has helped thousands by strengthening muscles and eliminating muscles imbalance.
As someone who has suffered with a bad back and who has endured months of physical therapy and an operation, I can tell you there are solutions for your discomfort.