Stammering

Stammering is a condition in which a person hesitates in the act of speaking and being unable for a time to pronounce certain syllable or repeating the same syllable over and over. Stammering is not due to any defect in the brain or in the speech organs, and may be described as! functional disease, or…

Why Do I Stutter? Why Do You Stutter?

Why Do I Stutter? 1% of the American population has a stuttering problem. If you are part of this 1%, you may be asking yourself ” Why Do I Stutter?”  While this does add up to over 3 million people, what makes me and you different from the other 99%? As a former stutterer myself,…

Coping With Sinus Trouble

DO YOU have headaches on cloudy days? Do you have trouble with nasal catarrh or a “runny nose”? Are you likely to blame these conditions on your sinuses? If so, you may be right, but, then again, you may be mistaken. In fact, Dr. A. P. Seltzer, an authority on sinus conditions, found that, of…

Improve Your Running with Proper Breathing

There seems to be a great deal of confusion these days over the proper way to breathe while running or jogging. According to the text Physiology of Sport and Exercise by Wilmore and Costill the need to breathe increases in direct proportion to the intensity of work. A mild workload such as brisk walking prompts…

Muscle Atrophy in the Older Dog

The muscles of most aged mammals lose much of their strength and actually decrease in size with each advancing year. This is a normal part of the aging process and is to be expected. However, there are two as yet poorly understood muscle disorders which at first may look like normal aging weakness. In one…

Cataracts

Cataracts are a cloudiness in the eye’s lens. The lens lies behind the iris, the colored portion of the eye, and the pupil, the dark center of the iris. The eye’s lens works similarly to a camera lens. Light focuses on the retina at the back of the eye and the lens adjusts the eye’s…

Glaucoma – Symptoms of Glaucoma

There are two major types of glaucoma: open-angle glaucoma and acute closed-angle glaucoma. Most glaucoma patients have open-angle glaucoma. There are usually no signs or symptoms in the early stages of open-angle glaucoma. The first sign is usually loss of vision, which is why the disease is sometimes referred to as the “sneak thief of…

Definition of legal blindness

Blindness is an important health care issue that exacts both economic and social costs. It is easy to understand that blindness is a vision problem of lacking visual perception due to physiological or neurological factors. Blindness is a kind of vision loss. The most common eye disease causes of blindness including: cataracts, glaucoma and age-related…

What is Farsightedness?

Farsightedness, or hyperopia is the inability to properly focus on close up objects. Objects that are distant may appear in normal focus, but those at a short distance will be blurred. You may find that you can read distant traffic signs with no problem, but you have trouble reading text in books or newspapers  until…

Myopia

Myopia is commonly known as nearsightedness. It means you have difficulty seeing things that are far away. With myopia you can see clearly up close unless you have another condition that affects your close vision, such as presbiopia or astigmatism. Most myopia begins in childhood, but some factors can cause myopia to develop later in…

Why Myopia is Such a Big Problem

Myopia occurs in different degrees from minimal to extreme. The more myopic you are the blurrier your vision is at a distance and objects will have to be closer to you so you can see them clearly. Myopia up to 3.0 dioptres (D) is termed mild degree, 3.0 to 6.0D is moderate degree and high…

Clinical Psychotherapy Treatment Modalities

Clinical Psychotherapy Treatment Modalities By Beverly Howze, PhD Treatment Modalities: Individual Psychotherapy is a treatment modality where a patient and Beverly Howze, PhD talk together on aTreatment Modalities regular basis, looking at feelings and thoughts that are causing symptoms or problems in the patient’s life. During the treatment, the patient and Dr. Beverly Howze may…

Nutrition and Food – Tips for Healthy Diet

What is a healthy diet? Is it what we have been lead to believe – milk for strong bones and teeth, protein in the form of lean beef or chicken and maybe a “healthy” microwave dinner if we are “on the go.” A healthy diet contains lots of fruit and vegetables; is based on starchy…

Brief History of First Aid

The term “first aid” is now an accepted part of everyday language, and there is no doubt that it encompasses the help and assistance given to sick and injured people, but where did the term “first aid” originate and who were the original “first aiders”. Prehistoric man, by necessity developed methods to treat the illnesses…