Hormonal imbalance is a common problem in women and may include symptoms such as severe acne, hot flashes, night sweats, vaginal dryness, irritability, disrupted sleep patterns, memory loss, increased urinary tract infections, weight gain, and osteoporosis. Contemporary medicine treatment uses combined hormone pills to provide symptomatic relief. However, synthetic hormones are known to have side effects. A lesser known fact is that the holistic approach to well being can relieve the symptoms of hormonal imbalance without the common side effects. Botanic oils are plant’s natural way of balancing a delicate protection against disease, these essential oils have been used for thousands of years in Aromatherapy and other healing arts for these purposes.
Aromatherapy influences female endocrine system by stimulating activity within specific brain cells. The aromatic plant oils are so tiny they easily vaporise (coining the term aromatic oils). They bring their healing properties by penetrating into the bodies cells, and interacting at a chemical molecular level.
Other natural treatments include diet changes, which will do a strict adherence to reveal effects over time. If nutrition is carefully analysed can even suggest the cause of imbalance in the endocrine system that releases hormones. Aromatherapy however, has immediate effects, you will know if it suits you and additionally – aromas are an enjoyable alternative to contemporary medicine.
Typically an aromatherapist produces a topical or inhaled aromatherapy treatment, which will vary according to the type of hormonal problem experienced;
* Inhaling essential oils from a cloth, steam inhalation, vaporizers, or sprays
* Relaxing or stimulating massage using diluted essential oils to penetrate the skin, as well as through the aroma.
* Aromatherapy oils applied to the body relative feedback the endocrine system such as the breasts, hips, lower back and kidney areas.
Generally these are the common aromatherapy suggestions that have properties for redressing symptoms of hormonal imbalance:
* Ylang-ylang and Lavender to have a soothing effect on anxiety.
* Zesty essential oils such as grapefruit, lemon, lime, orange, and peppermint and ginger to stimulate and which help reduce hot flashes.
* Ginger, Peppermint and Nutmeg for energizing to work against fatigue
* Some essential oils have properties similar to oestrogen and include – Spanish sage, Clary sage, Sage, Geranium and fennel, to be used in massage. Geranium oil for example has been used for thousands of years in Ayurvedic medicine to traditionally balance premenstrual syndrome, constipation, insomnia, restlessness, nervousness, anxiety and worry.
* Patchouli and Cardamom oil for grounding or as a sedative to reduce mood swings and irritability.
It is important to realise that due to the hormonal effect of some essential oils, treatment is not advised whilst pregnant, and without proper advice of an aromatherapist practitioner.