An Infected Finger Is A Common Problem

An infected finger is a very common problem, with the infection ranging between mild to critically severe. Usually these infections start off as simple and small and are not really difficult to treat. However, not treating it properly when it starts off can lead to lasting disability or even the loss of that finger. Therefore early diagnosis and immediate treatment can aid in preventing the more severe aftermath.

There are many different types of finger infections that you can contract. Mentioned below are some of the most common finger infections people suffer. Most infected fingers are caused by some bacteria except for the herpetic whitlow that is caused by the herpes simplex virus. How the infection sets on and where it is located is what makes every type of finger infection different.

Paronychia is an infection that has to do with the tissues at the edge of the fingernail. Though this bacterial infection is caused by the staphylococcal and the streptococcal organisms, it is focused on the soft tissue and skin around the fingernail. Failure to treat it could lead to trouble. It is one of the most common infections of the fingers. The infection begins as a hangnail which the victim will try to get rid of by biting, thereby causing an open wound. This permits the bacteria on the skin around the area and the bacteria from the mouth to cause the infected finger.

Felon is another form of a bacterial infection on the finger pad that is brought on by the same bacterial organisms like in paronychia. But in this case, the cause of the infection is a puncture wound which permits the bacteria to enter deep into the finger pads. Fortunately as the finger tip has many sections, the infection does not spread and is restricted to that area.

The herpetic whitlow is caused by either of herpes simplex viruses I or II. This is the same virus that is responsible for causing genital herpes and cold sores. People who are involved in specific occupations like a dentist, hygienist, nurses and health care workers are more prone to this infection.

If you are the victim of an infected finger you should know that it can be extremely painful. Further infections can be quite risky if the pus enters the blood stream. However they can be cured by using simple home remedies. First boil some water and pour a little into a cup and add about 1/3 cup of Epsom salt to it, stirring till dissolved. Let the water cool to the stage when you can immerse your finger in the cup. Soak for as long as you can. When the finger is soaked well, you will notice pus oozing out; you could probably try to squeeze some of it out. The warm Epsom diluted water helps to soften the finger making it simpler to squeeze the pus out.

This treatment for the infection may have to be continued a few times to ensure that all the pus is cleared from your finger. Between each procedure apply some Neosporin on the infected finger and cover either with Band-Aid or plaster.