I am a big fan of Aloe Vera products having used them successfully for many years for various things. The internet being such a vast storehouse of knowledge has allowed me to investigate this miraculous plant and I have found a wealth of information. Following is some research I did about the Aloe Vera benefits for heart diseases.
In 1984, Dr. Om Prakash Agarwal speaking at the International College of Heart Diseases in San Antonio, Texas, during the annual conference surprised his colleagues with the apparently amazing successful results he obtained administering Aloe Vera to his patients. This was reported in Angiology, The Journal of Vascular Diseases in 1985. In the study the following was noted:
- 5000 patients with angina were studied for 5 years
- All were given a combination of Aloe Vera with high fibre from plant origin.
- A significant reduction was noted in blood cholesterol, triglycerides, blood sugar and lipid fats
- There was an increase in HDL levels (good cholesterol) and significant lowering of LDL (bad cholesterol)
- There was a reduction in frequency of angina attacks during the study period and patients had their drug dosages gradually reduced over time
- Patients who were also diabetic received the most benefit from the trial with 95% of diabetics cured
- 85% of the patients overall were practically cured at the end of the study with their ECGs returning to normal.
- None of the patients reported untoward side effects and all 5000 patients were still surviving at the conclusion of the study.
Looking at these results it points to the fact that Aloe Vera definitely has significant health benefits for the treatment of Heart Disease and Diabetes. Upon looking further into the details of the study the following extra startling facts were uncovered. Of the 5000 patients studied
- 3167 were diabetic and 94% had blood sugar levels returning to normal after 3 months
- 2990 diabetic patients were taking hyperglycaemic medications and had to have their medication withdrawn at the end of 2 months of using Aloe Vera supplementation
- 2572 were smokers
- 2151 had hypertension and all those taking beta blockers, calcium channel blockers and diurectics for hypertension and angina had to have their medication reduced to half their dosages prescribed prior to the study.
Doctor Agarwal's conclusion was that Aloe Vera has a definite role in the prevention and management of atherosclerotic heart disease and in controlling the blood sugar level in diabetic patients. People suffering with various forms of heart disease can take "heart" from this Aloe Vera study. Unfortunately not much significant research is done when it comes to natural products. Most evaluations are done by Pharmaceutical companies whose agenda is to provide drugs and not natural medicine. Therefore many of these studies admit minor benefits but also conclude that more research is needed therefore leaving the questions f the benefits wide open.
As for me, I have no doubts about the healing powers of Aloe Vera, having used it successfully myself, mostly for digestive tract complaints and topical skin conditions arising from burns, cuts and insect bites. I have no doubts the that the Aloe Vera benefits for Heart Diseases are real and I recommend that anyone who suffers from heart disease at least give it a try.