Having a sore throat is never a pleasant experience. The itchiness and pain may disrupt your work or studies, and make it difficult to swallow or talk. Treatment may cost you a lot of money, but you can not let your symptoms go untreated. A minor itch could turn into severe one if you do not treat it soon. There are many ways to deal with a sore throat, and not all of them cost too much money.
What is Sore Throat?
They happen for a variety of reasons, including throat inflammation, acute viral pharyngitis, post trauma, the common cold, and diphtheria. Acute viral pharyngitis is the most common cause of painful sore throat in adults. Streptococcal pharyngitis is the more common cause in children.
Ways to Remedy a Sore Throat
Lozenges – One of the most basic throat infection treatments is to take sore throat lozenges. A lozenge, also called a cough drop or a cough sweet, is a small tablet you dissolve in your mouth to alleviate coughs or throat problems. Some lozenges may even help clear your clogged nose.
People suffering from severe throat infection should not rely solely on lozenges for a cure, as they are only formulated to handle minor cases.
Gargling – Gargling with antiseptic mouthwash may help get rid of the bacteria causing them. Some people make their own mouthwash using natural ingredients readily available in most grocery stores. These include:
– Salt – When researching about what helps cure it, salt and water are the common answers. Salt has antiseptic properties that help eliminate throat irritations. If you want to use salt to alleviate your throat problem, mix 1/2 teaspoon of salt with a cup of warm water and gargle every three to four hours.
– Common Sage – There are different types of sage, but the most common type, salvia officinalis or garden-variety sage, serves as an excellent ingredient for soothing mouthwash. To make your own sage mouthwash, mix 1 teaspoon of sage and 1 teaspoon of honey into a cup of boiling water, steep for ten minutes, then drain.
– Turmeric – Like sage, turmeric has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that help eliminate throat infection. You can make a mouthwash by adding 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon of salt into a cup of hot water.
Soothing Drinks – Sometimes gargling is not effective as a treatment, especially if the inflamed tissues are further down your throat. You can try making some homemade beverages that may help alleviate your symptoms. Here are a few recipes you can try:
– 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric, 1 cup of warm milk
– 1 tablespoon cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 cup of warm water
– 1 tablespoon horseradish, 1 teaspoon honey, 1 teaspoon ground cloves, 1 cup warm water
While lozenges, mouthwashes, and drinks may help with minor to moderate symptoms, extremely severe problem requires the attention of a doctor. If none of these treatments work, consult your doctor right away.