For many individuals, the back may be their so-called "Achilles Heel". For them, pain in the area of the back may be related to an increase in emotional stress. Other causes are poor posture, improper footwear and walking habits, improper lifting, slouching when sitting, and sleeping on a mattress that is too soft.
Most back problems are associated with long-term habits that eventually result in an acute attack. Other causes of backache are arthritis, rheumatism, bone disease, a herniated disc, or an abnormal curvature of the spine. Kidney and bladder problems or female pelvic disorders may also produce backache. Fractures are rarely the cause of back ailments. Below are some recommendations for treatment.
VAX-D Spinal Decompression
Neck and Back Pain injuries can be treated using a sophisticated vertebral decompression system known as the Vertebral Axial Decompression or "VAX-D", a method that has been shown to be successful in over 86% of patients. VAX-D is a patented, non-surgical therapy clinically proven to be a successful conservative treatment for such conditions as chronic low back pain and sciatica, caused by bulging, herniated or degenerative discs, and facet syndrome. Even post-surgical patients and those suffering from stenosis (a narrowing of the spinal canal) have reported a significant pain relief from VAX-D treatments. These treatments are fully automated and specifically designed for each individual patient. This computerized system achieves decompression by minutely adjusting the pull, hold and release series that are repeated up to fifteen times over a 15 to 45-minute time period. Each series goes through a decompression phase, retraction phase, and a rest phase, allowing the tension to be directed to the injured disc, and achieves a negative pressure within the disc that creates a vacuum effect that draws nutrients and fluids into the injured area, thus promoting repair. This motion-controlled biofeedback system automatically administers the tension without injury and allows the area of injury to relax completely. In this way VAX-D intervention facilitates the body to repair damage, regenerate new tissue, attain relief from pain, and thus, return patients to their normal activities.
Hako-Med Electromedical Pain Relief
New Hope Medical Center (NHMC) uses an internationally patented technology, known as Hako-Med, for pain relief. Hako-Med is the most advance tool in the field of bioelectric medicine. For example, it has been proven to eliminate over 80% of pain in osteoarthritis. Hako-med essentially works by using a combination of AM and FM radio wave frequencies, which neutralize pain and stimulate repair by resonating with the area of injury. This non-invasive modality is safe, effective, and easy to use and has no negative side effects. Whereas a typical TENS unit creates a distraction from pain, Hako-Med actually increases energy in the body to promote healing and recovery from injury. This sophisticated technology, developed with German engineering, allows the physician the choice of 200 pre-programmed protocols or the ability to develop customized protocols based on specific NHMC patient parameters. The good news for NHMC patients is that almost all insurance carriers cover this excellent pain treatment. Clinical indications and usages of Hako-Med include chronic pain, muscular dysfunction (eg, atrophy, range of motion limitations, spasms, weakness, etc.), peripheral nerve pain, poor circulation, post-traumatic injuries, and post-surgical pain and prevention of thrombophlebitis. Hako-Med can be used in conjunction with, in alternation to, or independently from any other therapy. A typical treatment session can last anywhere from 10 to 50 minutes. When used alone, the recommended protocol for Hako-Med is three times weekly for 4 to 8 weeks. However, when used in combination with other therapies, Hako-Med works synergistically to accelerate the healing response and reduce recovery time.
Additional Recommendations for treatment and prevention
1. For acute pain, alternate ice and moist heat applications every 15-30 minutes to keep the swelling down and minimize the injury. Once the initial pain has subsided, Chiropractic or Osteopathic treatment may help to insure proper alignment of the vertebral spine.
2. For chronic back pain, strengthen the back with exercises.Strengthening exercises for your back, known as "Back Exercises", are available for home use. Prior to exercising, warm up your muscles by walking, cycling, or swimming. Exercises should then be performed in both directions (such as flexion and extension) and in one continuous motion. Make them a part of your daily routine. At the conclusion of your exercises, take a hot bath or shower for 10 minutes. A list of specific exercises can be ordered at the end of this recording.
3. As a rule, never lift heavy objects! Lift light objects by bending your legs, keeping your back straight, and then straighten your legs. Do not make quick, jerky movements from the waist or hip. Move only in one direction at a time by turning your whole body in a smooth movement.
4. Do not slouch! When walking, imagine yourself being pulled up and forward by a string attached to your breastbone (eg like a puppet on a string).
5. Sleep on a hard, preferably orthopedic, mattress or place a board under your own mattress. When sleeping, sleep on your back or on your side with your legs pulled up in the fetal position to reduce the pressure on your back. Upon arising in the morning, roll over on your side, let your legs come off the bed first, and then push yourself up – avoid doing a "sit-up."
6. When watching long hours of television, lie comfortably on a hard surface supported by pillows under your neck and in the small of your back or sit up straight in a good firm chair with your knees above your hips and your feet flat on the ground .
7. For back pain, use moist heat, such as a wet cloth around a hot water bottle. This increases circulation to the painful area and relaxes the spasm that caused the pain.
8. Supplements to consider include: Antioxidants such as vitamins A, C, E, and Bioflavonoids and B-complex for stress relief; minerals such as magnesium aspartate as a natural muscle relaxant, zinc and manganese for tissue repair. DL-Phenylalanine, an amino acid, helps with alleviation of pain. The herb horsetail (eg, Silica) aids in calcium absorption and white willow bark is a natural anti-inflammatory.
9. Homeopathics for back pain are: Arnica (especially if the pain results from acute trauma), Bryonia (if the pain is worse with movement), Rhus Tox. (If pain is worse after exposure to cold and after having been immobile), Ruta Graveolens (for lower lumbar pain made worse by sitting and lying down), and Calcarea Fluorica (when pain is burning, better with movement and worse after rest). Combination remedies such as Traumeel by BHI and Body Healing by Bioenergetics are excellent. Homeopathics are available in creams and oils for topical application as well.
10. Get prolotherapy. This involves the injection of a natural solution (eg, dextrose or saline) with anesthetic into the areas of the ligaments that hold the bones together and the tendons that attach the muscles to the bones. This, in turn, sets in motion a healing response to stimulate the body to develop new tissues in weakened areas and hold the joints together more firmly. It also helps bulging discs to return by strengthening the posterior vertebral attachments, which weakness makes a disc more prone to protrude. This approach is usually given weekly and can help to avoid surgery by stimulating the body to do its own repair.
11. Gentle relaxation and rejuvenation therapy through use of a medical spa with steam sauna, infrared sauna, and / or contrast shower.
Reasons to seek medical advice for back pain include: pain that comes on suddenly for no apparent reason, pain that is accompanied by chest pain, pain that lasts more than three days in an acute attack or more than two weeks without relief in chronic cases, or pain that radiates down your leg. Learn more about To healing and health optimizing therapies, to go The NHMC or call (866) HEAL-NOW Google !