If you have been exposed to carbon monoxide due to the negligence of a third party you could claim compensation.
Due to the seriousness of carbon monoxide poisoning claiming for compensation can often be the best thing to do if you’ve been hospitalised, taken time off work or lost your job due to the poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is often referred to as ‘the silent killer’, due to it being odourless and colourless. It is therefore most likely that you won’t know carbon monoxide is there until you started suffering the side effects of inhaling it.
Side effects of carbon monoxide include headaches, nausea and dizziness, vomiting, tiredness, stomach pains and confusion. In some cases, carbon monoxide poisoning has lead to fatalities when the problem has been left untreated.
In more serious cases, carbon monoxide poisoning can cause brain and heart damage as well as urinary incontinence.
A lot of the time, carbon monoxide exposure may only be realised if you feel ill in only in one particular place. For example, you may find that you show symptoms whenever you are at work, but when at home you feel much better. This could be because of a carbon monoxide leak at your place of work. This is easier to determine if everyone in the vicinity also feels the same symptoms.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is usually caused by poorly maintained gas appliances such as gas fires or central heating systems, or bad ventilation.
If there’s a possibility of exposure in your workplace, it is up to your employer to ensure that appliances are regularly checked and maintained, and perhaps even to install a carbon monoxide detector.
Similarly, if you’ve been affected when living in rented accommodation, in a public house or otherwise, it is the responsibility of the landlord or manager to make your safety a priority.
If a third party has failed to put your health and well being first then you could make a claim for compensation.