Although heart disease is in most cases preventable, it continues to be a large public health threat in the United States.
Here is a list of heart diseases and brief descriptions of each;
This list of heart diseases is in no particular order of importance. If you think you have any one of these, see your doctor immediately.
1) Coronary Heart Disease (CHD), is the most common heart condition. This is caused when the arms around your heart get clogged up with arterial plaque, reducing your heart's blood supply. Your treatment program may include a change in diet, medications and so on.
2) High blood pressure, or hypertension, is mostly caused by what we eat. The few symptoms of hypertension include headaches, confusion, or difficulty thinking straight.
3) Heart Attack: Symptoms of a Heart attack typically are, pain or tingling in your left arm for an immense pain in your chest. These symptoms are usually stronger for men than women who often do not realize they're having a heart attack.
4) Tachycardia, an extremely rapid heart rate not due to physical activity. Symptoms are shortness of breath, dizziness, or even just the feeling your pulse racing. Your heart rate not decreasing after physical activity in about 10 to 15 minutes could be and indication of this serious condition.
5) Heart murmurs or irregularities in the sound of your heartbeats. Some are harmless while others indicate a more serious problem.
6) Ischemic heart disease, the reverse of hypertension, is lower than usual blood pressure. Recurring chest pain is the largest symptom of this.
7) Pulmonary heart disease, unusually high pressure in the lungs can cause improper blood flow to your lungs.
8) Rheumatic heart disease symptoms include fever, rash, chest pains, or heartburn. Damage to your heart's valves can lead to their inability to control the direction of blood flow through your heart. This can lead to heart failure.
9) Congenital heart disease is the broad name for several heart defects that you can be born with. These symptoms can range from mild to life threatening. Symptoms may include Shortness of breath or rapid breathing, fatigue, or a blue tint to the lips, fingernails, and skin due to poor circulation, (cyanosis).
10) Inflammatory heart disease is the inflammation of the heart muscles or tissues around the heart due to a bacteria or virus, sometimes rheumatic fever or kawasaki disease. The three types are myocarditis, pericarditis or endocarditis.
11) End stage heart disease is just that, a chronic heart condition that has progressed to a level that may surgical intervention such as a bypass or a full transplant.
There are many risk factors you should be aware of. You may be more at risk than you realize. Start early to prevent or reverse much of the damage that you could be causing. Most of this list of heat diseases can be prevented by making the eight life-style choices.
You only have one heart and it will be working to keep you alive 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for the rest of your life. How well you take care of it will determine how long that life is.
Your life, make it good, make it last, Christopher Gladden