The common cold is a nuisance when you catch one. One can feel miserable for several days when dealing with a cold. Here are a few suggestions to help you deal with your next cold.
- Don’t blow your nose. Although it seems the right thing to do, some surprising research has shown that blowing your noise actually propels viruses and bacteria back into your sinuses.
- Gargle with salt water. Mix a teaspoon of salt into warm water and gargle with it four or more times a day. This will soothe the throat and help rinse away post-nasal drip.
- Eat a big breakfast. Consuming a big, hearty breakfast can raise blood levels of gamma interferon by 450%. Gamma interferon is the body’s top virus-fighting compound. If you don’t eat any breakfast at all, your gamma interferon will be lowered by as much as 17%.
- Crack open a window. Even if it’s cold outside, it is a good idea to open up a couple of windows and draw fresh air in while getting rid of the germ-laden air.
- Drink lots of fluids. No, not alcoholic beverages. Drink lots of water, tea and juice to prevent dehydration which can occur if you have a fever. Dehydration will interfere with the body’s removal of toxins produced while fighting viruses. So, drink up!
- Play video games. Yes, that’s correct. By playing video games for about 12 minutes or so, you can generate good stress which will send levels of a key immune system protein soaring.
- Eat chicken soup. But, of course, you must eat chicken soup if you have a cold. Chicken soup can help reduce the swelling of your nasal cavities and it provides the protein your body needs to manufacture antibodies.