Are you looking for some easy ways to remove tonsil stones? If you are sick and tired of those nasty lumps at the back of your throat and the accompanying bad breath then this article will be of interest to you.
Tonsil stones or tonsiliths tend to occur most often in people who have been suffering from chronic inflammation of their tonsils or repeated bouts of tonsillitis. The tonsils are gland like structures in the back of the throat and play a role in the immune system by acting as a sort of net that traps and filters incoming bacteria and virus particles. This can cause the tonsils to swell and develop crypts or holes where particles of bacteria, dead cells and mucous can become trapped. This debris can then harden and calcify thus forming the stones. Some people may have tonsillitis without realising it because they are so small and will often dissolve by themselves. Other stones can become large and cause discomfort and difficulty swallowing. One of worse problems that accompanies this condition is bad breath.
Listed below are 5 easy ways to remove tonsil stones.
- Take a Q-tip or cotton wool bud that has been moistened with water and gently apply pressure to the tonsil area and push upwards. This pushes the stone out of the tonsil crypt. You can also use a toothbrush but make sure it is clean to prevent infection. This method is good for people who do not have a problem with gag reflex.
- Another method some people find useful is to flex the throat and cough which can make the stone pop out. This again is only works if you do not have a gag reflex.
- You can use a Water Pike or Water Jet to flush out the tonsil stones. But be sure to set the pressure at a low level and aim directly at the stone. If you use too high a setting you could end up irritating your tonsils.
- Mix half a teaspoon of salt and half a teaspoon of baking power in a cup of warm water and gargle, do not swallow but leave in the mouth for a minute or two and spit out. If this solution tastes too nasty for you, try gargling with just salt water instead. The salt will help kill off any bacteria and germs in your mouth.
- Try bouncing on a trampoline for 5 minutes. This method is unconventional but some people swear by it reporting the stones becoming dislodged and able to be spat out.
These are some easy ways to remove tonsil stones but unfortunately the results are not always permanent.