An antibiotic is a type of medication that is prescribed to a patient to destroy and/or put off the growth of bacteria. Depending on the infection you are afflicted with, the anti-biotic is given to the patient.
Bronchitis is a respiratory disease in which the air passageway between our nose & lungs inflames. It is of two type – short term or acute, long term or chronic. Chronic bronchitis is a worst condition for any individual to be in.
The anti-biotics when prescribed in the cases of bronchitis, do not exactly treat bronchitis. They decrease the infections that aggravate the symptoms of the ailment. The medical experts explain that some anti-biotics have been great help in decreasing the cough just after one or two weeks of decreasing the infection in the patient.
Some anti-biotics quite commonly used to cure the acute & chronic bronchitis are as follows:
This is used to treat the infections developed with acute bronchitis. In case you are prescribed this medicine, you must take a glass full of water with in 30 minutes or 2 hours, after having the meals.
Amcipillin’s usual side effects include skin irritation, diarrhea, soreness of the tongue and/or mouth, vomiting, etc.
This medicine is most oft given to the adults.
This anti-biotoic is primarily used to cure the respiratory tract’s infections. Other uses of trimethoprim include treatment of urine & ear infections.
Some of the commonly known side effects of this anti-biotic are stomach pain, diarrhea, swollen tongue, and sometimes it can lead to the failure of having proper diet due to difficulty in eating properly.
Some types of pills included under this header are – Septra, Bactrim, etc.
This one is most oft used to treat the patients suffering with bacterial infections arising bronchitis & pneumonia.
It is taken in the form of a tablet and also in the form of oral suspension.
The side effects of Azithromycin include:
i. Irritated stomach
ii. Loose bowel movement
iv. Pain in the patients’ stomach & abdomen
v. Skin irritations like rashes that are usually minor
The usual brands manufacturing this antibiotic are Zitromax, Aztrin, and Zmax.
This drug is quite commonly prescribed one for many ailments. Amoxicillin is aailbale in the form of capsules, tablets (that are chewable for children), liquid suspension, pediatric drops, etc.
Its side effects include irritated stomach, diarrhea, vomiting, etc. In extreme cases this medication leads to some very severe side effects like atypical bleeding, seizures, & too much fatigue.
The brands that manufacture this type of antibiotic are Trimox, Amoxil, Sumox, etc.
This one is usually prescribed for the young children inflicted with bronchitis.
While chronic bronchitis is quite a serious ailment and needs a very vital treatment, telithromycin is commonly used to treat it now a days.
This anti-biotic primarily ministers over the mild and moderate infections occurring in the course of respiratory system functions.
The brand name linked with this anti-biotic is Ketek.
This medication can be taken in the form of a tablet or the oral suspension.
The commonly known side effects of this medication are lightheadedness, headache, irritated stomach, loose bowel movement, blunt taste, unclear vision, etc.
Safety Precautions While Taking Antibiotics
In case you are diagnosed to have bronchitis and now it has become a must for you to have anti-biotics, there are many precautions that you must take in order to minimize the side effects. Bronchitis and the other infections can be relieved very effectively with the specific & prescribed antibiotics, given that you take them in the prescribed manner. The ways to deal with the common side effects are as follows:
1. Be precise while informing your physician regarding the severity of the extent of bronchitis. This would enable them to decide as to you must take the antibiotic or not and if yes which type you must take.
2. Make sure to mention clearly about the allergies you have with any all sort of elements, mainly food & medicines.
3. Be sure to complete the dosage prescribed by the doctor and not leave it in the midst else the infection would continue to persists in the body.
4. In case you have missed a dose, make sure to take it and get to the normal cycle, soon enough.
5. In case the patient is pregnant, you must consult the OB-GYNE to check if the medicines are suited to your condition.
6. When the side effects rise too much, consult you physician as he may change or stop the medication.
7. The medications have their own advantages & disadvantages. If the dosage is taken well enough with the help of the caregiver or some family member it would show up all positives and minimum negatives.