Pain, scars, bruises and swelling are inevitable in a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty surgery since it requires a significant amount of trauma to the body, especially when extensive surgery was done. But the good thing about it is that there are a lot of new ways to help reduce or eliminate these problems. But let me share to you 10 secrets in dealing with your tummy tuck side effects.
1. One of the simplest and most overlooked secret in eliminating your tummy tuck scar is to practice a good wound care regimen. Yes, it all starts out with how you treat that wound and how you ensure that it is properly protected from foreign materials which can cause infection. An infection can cause complication which results to delay healing and a bigger chance of scarring.
2. Did you know that vitamin E is a good secret in erasing those nasty scars? This is a potent antioxidant which you can get from food sources such as seeds, nuts and vegetable oils. You can also use a vitamin E gel prick it and then apply the liquid over the scar. This improves skin regeneration and collagen formation.
3. Never expose your scar to sunlight. If there is anything that this will do, it will only make it darker. So it is better to put off that tanning session for now.
4. Massaging your scar can actually prevent scarring. The act of massaging promotes circulation to the area which increases collagen formation and healing. You can have better results if you use a moisturizer while doing it.
5. Reducing pain is always relieved with a pain medication prescribed. But there will be mechanical factors that can cause this as well. For example when you sneeze or move out of bed, you may feel a significant discomfort. You can lessen this by guarding the incision site with both hands interlaced over it. This will control the site from having too much movement.
6. Another simple way to reduce bruising and swelling is to apply cold compress over the area for the first 24 hours after surgery.
7. Never remove your compression garment unless directed by your surgeon. Aside from shaping your body better, it prevents lymphatic fluid that naturally gathers on the site of trauma which causes swelling.
8. Elevate your head and torso while sleeping for the first few weeks after a tummy tuck. This can be done by propping up a couple of pillows. This aids you in getting out of bed comfortably and reduces any discomfort by the stretching of your skin when lying in bed.
9. Start walking around within the first week after surgery. This can be uncomfortable at first, but this prevents blood clot formation and promotes circulation which results to faster healing. This also reduces the swelling.
10. Arnica Montana which often comes in gel or pill form is also an effective way to reduce bruising and swelling.
Although there may be many who swear by its effectiveness, it is still best to ask your surgeon first before having the surgery and do an intensive research of your own on the relevant tummy tuck information before deciding to have this procedure.